PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Overflowing, Day 2

philg3
05-14-2012, 04:38 AM
So I re-did my aquascape last night and added some more sand. After finishing up I put on a clean filter sock and turned on the return and skimmer again.

Skimmer started overflowing right away, no problem, happens from time to time, especially after having my arms in the tank all evening and moving a bunch of stuff around, adding sand storms etc etc. So I turned it off and left it overnight. Woke up this morning before work and it did the same thing, overflowed right away, so I turned it off and went to work. Now I'm home again and its still overflowing like crazy every time i turn it on.

Required Info:
65 Display, 20 gallon sump
SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, Exit pipe is fully open, Venturi intake is as small as possible.

Before the aquascape everything had been running fine for approx. 2 months.

Could it be the Epoxy?

New Sand?

I've removed the filter sock altogether, I dont usually run them all the time, but with all the detritus kicked up after the aquascaping i figured it couldnt hurt.

How long should I leave the skimmer off for?

I did a single 5 gallon water change last night, should I do another?

some expert input is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Phil

banditpowdercoat
05-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Mine did that a couple nights ago. I kept draining cup about 20 cups on my SWC MiniS About 4g maybe? I left overnight off, didn't help But eventually, it's gotten all what was bugging it out, and added new SW to top off. Mines a 150g tho, 210 total water. I did a large change, and cleaned a lot of algae out.

Aquattro
05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
How did the filter sock get "clean"? Any chance it touched soap?

Arok3000
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
How much epoxy did you use?
Gluing two frags down will cause my skimmer to erupt for a while. If you used a whole stick of it, your skimmer could just be running through a normal cycle.
Also do you have many corals in the tank? Did they ooze and slime and get upset? Could be an issue also.

philg3
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Just soaked the socks in vinegar and then hand washed in ro/di.

No corals in there yet, but i did use a stick and a half of epoxy.