PDA

View Full Version : venting

pinner_28
05-13-2012, 06:47 PM
i'm at a total lose i'm had a total creash last year after getting back from a trip.I've been keeping the tank going without livestock for the last year so finally after checking all my paramiters i gave in to my kids request for a few fish .Got a few yesterday and last half within a few hours and lost my last one within 16 hrs i'm ata total lose.Could there be somthing in my sand or rock that is killing the fish i checked everthhing again after the loses and they still seem ok.

jorjef
05-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Oxygen?

pinner_28
05-13-2012, 06:57 PM
got my protein skimmer running no stop

daniella3d
05-13-2012, 06:57 PM
adding fish into the main tank without quarantine and watching them die is not the way to test if a tank is good or bad. YOu probably introduced a parasite with some of those fish and that contaminated them all. Marine velvet can kill very fast, as well as brooklynella.

If you want to be sure if your tank is safe for fish than add a few shrimps...if they survive then there is nothing toxic in that tank.

But since your fish now all died, it it best to leave that tank without fish for at least 2 months so that what ever parasite or disease killed them, it will be dead and not contaminate any new fish.

The shrimps are not affected by fish parasites and cannot sustain them, so it is safe to add shrimp and see if they survive. YOu would still need to wait 2 months before adding any new fish even if the shrimps survive.

i'm at a total lose i'm had a total creash last year after getting back from a trip.I've been keeping the tank going without livestock for the last year so finally after checking all my paramiters i gave in to my kids request for a few fish .Got a few yesterday and last half within a few hours and lost my last one within 16 hrs i'm ata total lose.Could there be somthing in my sand or rock that is killing the fish i checked everthhing again after the loses and they still seem ok.

pinner_28
05-13-2012, 07:00 PM
the tank has been running with nothing but sand bed and rock for over a year with regular water changes

daniella3d
05-13-2012, 07:03 PM
the problem is that you added fish and those fish were probably carrier or contaminated with something nasty.

Also if you added a lot of fish in one shot, it might have created an ammonia peak from a suddent bioload increase. Have you checked for ammonia?

the tank has been running with nothing but sand bed and rock for over a year with regular water changes

pinner_28
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
ya ammonia level is none and they were only two percula's and four small green chromias

RuGlu6
05-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Why add few fish? Just add one and observe. . How about acclimatizing the fish ? With tank running for a year with no bio load and water changes you should be in pretty good shape and ready. But remember to increase the bio load slowly.
I am sure that you just need to cover all the basics first before throwing a towel.
Salinity
Ph
Alkalinity
Temp.
But most important is acclimatization and SLOW bio load increase not 6 fish at once. Just do one, if it will survive get another one in 2-3 weeks. Adding 6! at once is way too much and irresponsible inmo the fish derves to live and the best chance to survive that we can and should provide. they did not need to die...