PDA

View Full Version : To Reef or Not To Reef......

Doc_Polit
05-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I have been a keeper of FW tanks, predominantly African Cichlids for a number of years. I have had success with some of the more challenging species (Tropheus, etc).

I have always wanted to keep a reef tank and have actually started gathering appropriate equipment (RR 120-gallon Starphire, stand, 60-gallon sump).

I refuse to spend time on a hobby without research and constantly review posts on SW forums. Just when I get myself convinced that this is what I am going to do, I read the "What the hell happened" or "Mystery tank crash" threads and get psyched out.

Recently, I discovered that an acquaintance (who, truly can only be called a complete and utter chowder-head) has had a medium sized reef tank running successfully for months. :cry:

Now, of course, I am thinking......"if HE can do it......"

My largest concern regards my job. I started a new job in October that involves travel throughout the province. I see a strong likelihood that the winter months will have me away from home for days and/or weeks at a time.

Knowing how fast these reef tanks can turn on a dime, I am really unsure what to do. :sad:

I am fortunate enough to have The Grizz live only minutes from my house. He is a great guy and always seems to go above and beyond to help anyone in this hobby. As well, I have the numerous experienced members here and in other reef communities to lean on.

BUT is it fair to the fish/corals to keep a tank under such work demands? Is this the right time for this venture or should I continue with FW?

I am leery to spend outrageous $$$ on a pending disappointment/disaster.

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.

The Grizz
05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Brad, start smallish & simple. My work sched can keep me exceptionally busy to the point that I some times don't get to see my tank with the lights on for days. This year I will be away most of June, July & August ( which sucks cause it cuts into my riding & golf time :sad: ) but I am not to worried about my tanks.

If you do it right & start slow you will be just fine.

Finisher604
05-13-2012, 06:49 AM
If your not going to be around for days or weeks at a tune I'd pass on the reef tank. I have a cilid rank (over 2 yrs ) and a reef tank since nov11 things happen weekly And if your not around to catch them quick keep up on all the dosing, water changes and feeding you will see it crash quick I think.

FitoPharmer
05-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Even a simple mushroom reef can be incredibly beautiful and most likely the hardiest thing in the tank :mrgreen:.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I would vote NO. If you're not going to be around for "weeks" at a time, the stress of worrying about your tank crashing or other potential problems is not worth it. You should wait till your life situation is more stable and you will be home more to actually enjoy a sw tank.

Since going saltie again about 10 years ago, my longest time away was a week for my fifth anniversary but I had to approach it with the idea that any casualties during that time away was part of the cost of going on vacation. Otherwise I rarely leave for more than four days vacation at a time. Yes, I can get my tanks more automated, but bleep happens (think Murphy's Law).

If you're gone so much, as a newbie, the stress would not be enjoyable.

jorjef
05-13-2012, 02:01 PM
The ol'e FOWLR is as far as I would go, and not stocked to heavy.

reefgirl189
05-13-2012, 02:41 PM
If you can't enlist the assisance of a tank maintenance friend or company I would say to take it easy. Go with a FOWLR or something a bit more forgiving. Otherwise you'll just stress yourself out. I know if I were to ignore my tank for a week it would start to decline quickly. You can only automate so much...

Arok3000
05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm going to offer a differing opinion here and encourage you to go with it.
Provided someone is available to check up at roughly a weekly interval you can succeed, especially if you have tank maintenance experience and have kept more temperamental species in the past.

ATO and a controller are blessed things. If you're willing to invest in a good controller that will do most of the work for you, then you should have no problems leaving for a week plus at a time, especially if it can email you and let you know if anything did go wrong. A nice big freshwater topup tank and a decent auto dosing system, and all you have to worry about is feeding the fish. There are auto feeders for that but I'm leery about those.

I'm sure if you do some research into what equipment would be required than you could have a successful tank. The biggest problem is when you get home you have to do water changes and cleaning as opposed to sitting and enjoying your fish. ;)

jorjef
05-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Big assumptions, Finding someone rely on, two they want to spend a gazillion dollars on extra equipment, three they are technically inclined to answer/respond to emails being sent. I would stare at my phone with a blank look on my face lol.

jtbadco
05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I have a reef set-up and I go away to Mexico for 2 weeks every year.

I do have an ATO but no controller or doser's etc.

I just had someone check on the tank every few days and feed the fish (daily), and a back up SW keeper on call in case anything went wrong.

I would suggest sticking to a FOWLR at first until you get into it more but I think you do do it easy.

mike31154
05-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Every winter I go on at least two, one week backcountry ski trips. An email won't help me out there since the only communications at most remote lodges is satellite phone, although some of them do have internet access. Either way, I still need someone to look in on the tank when I'm away for that long, preferably daily. A few years ago, before my daughter moved back to town, my parents would drive up from Okanagan Falls & stay at my house for most of the week. They are not in the hobby so I left a good set of written instructions & tried to explain as much as possible whenever they visited. On one trip my ATO messed up (overfilled tank) but it happened around the last couple days I was away. Dad got hold of me before it overflowed the display & I simply had him disconnect the feed tube. No harm done, close call though.

Last couple years my daughter has been able to look in on the system every day when I'm away. Being young & tech savvy, there aren't too many issues that she can't solve or find the answer to without having to get hold of me. When I get back from my week(s), the tank usually needs a good cleaning, epecially the glass, but that's taken care of fairly quickly.

Since you've been running freshwater for years & undoubtedly have seen Grizz's setup, you should have a better idea of what you're getting into than a total aquarium newb. Once a system is set up & running for 6 months to a year, you should have it dialed in pretty good & be able to leave for a few days without worrying too much. Depending on what you're planning to keep, it's going to take a while to get it set up anyhow. Provided you can have someone look in on the tank & contact you if necessary, I say do it.

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Do you have someone to watch over your tank? Feed and do water top offs? I work a 21/21 day schedule. When I am gone for 21 days, the mother in law and my wife(separated) come and check on the fish and feed. A ATO for water top offs is all they gotta worry about, and empty skimmer. I do water changes when I am home. Well, I really havn't done them for months, now back into it. Depending on the corals you want, that depends on how much workload. Softies and Polyps are really low care where SPS would need constant water attention.

Not being home, with a reef tank can be done. I've been doing ot for 3 years now, and I'm far from being an expert or anything

Doc_Polit
05-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Usually when I am away, my wife will be home to watch over my tanks.

She is amazingly supportive and "hands-on" when it comes to my tanks.

I was planning to keep only softies, LPS and more "mellow" stock.

As well, I do plan to utilize an ATO, auto dosers where necessary and a controller. I want my specimens to thrive as opposed to survive.

Any other/more thoughts?

banditpowdercoat
05-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Then you should have no problems. Start with a FOWLR, maybe some Zoanthids for color. They are hearty. Then, once you get your routine down and see how much work your tank needs for bioloads etc, and water quality, then go for some SPS, LPS. Give the Mrs time to adapt too. They don't usually absorb the info like us reefaholics can and don't understand why they need to add this, or that. Mine was I just gotta feed them, right? magnesuim?? Isnt that for car wheels? Why do the fish need it, they don't drive. AlkaliniWHO?? Don't they have a 7 step program for that?