PDA

View Full Version : Just started DIY CA, Alk, Mg dosing

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2012, 04:35 AM
So, shame on me, but it's been 10 mos since my last water change. Softies, Lightly stocked and heavily skimmed 150g. 70g sump. Fish and present corals have been fine, but I got a new Brain, and a lil sixline, couple cleaners. Dug out all my test kits, and only ones still non expired were CA and Alk. CA was 300, Alk still 7.4. Mg test a year outa date, but tried anyway, 1050!. Mag allways been low in my tanks tho, but not that low. So 2 W/C later, and I went shopping. Now have a Kalk drip, and got all the components for R H-F 3 part(or is it 2 part) mix. made them up, recipie 1. The calc said 2/3 cup CA to get to levels, so I added 1/3 cup CA and 1/3 cup Alk. All I could find said add both those in equal amounts. The Mg it said 5.6L!!!! I added about 3/4L and will not add more till I get a new mag kit this week..

But my new Brain looks withering. Hasn't openend since I got him. LED lights, don't think they to bright. Hope I can get parameters in check and make him happy.

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-13-2012, 04:55 AM
1st its good to hear your back at doing the water changes to your tank.
Before you start adding any chemicals as this will escalate the health of your reef prior to getting decent test kits and find out your measurements after so decide of the type of chemicals you are going with making sure what levels you are at and then start dosing manually or by a doser slowly as this is the best way for adding the chemicals.If I read your post right it shows you added Calcium and Soda at one shot weather at same time or not these 2 chemicals will react in your tank and not in a good way...For having such a low load in your tank 1st I would stick to only regular water changes.

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Thx, I do have good Ca and Alk kits. Just my Mag has expired. And my tanks have allways been low on CA/Mag. Doing randy Holmes-Farley's instructions here
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#9

Just added a little yesterday, about to check Ca/Alk this morning. Everyting looks same as last night, which is good, no crashing.

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Well Ca at 340, Dkh 8. Between adding and W/C gained 40 on Ca