PDA

View Full Version : Feeding frozen oysters?

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2012, 04:25 AM
How do those who feed oysters, feed your tank? I tried today, albniet probibally to much. But put in my little chopper thing. Like a blender, but has cup on side of motor, not top like blender. Food Processor?? I'm a batchelor, forgive me for names. But anyways, it totally clouded my tank. Fish went nuts, but most pieces were too small for them ( Hippo, Yellow tang, Foxface, Flame angel and coral beauty. But some pieces were good size, others were freakin huge still. Like 3/4"

Blend more or hand chop? Hoping to find good way that my tank sitter can feed them too. Me being away ffor 3 weeks at a time. Normally feed pellets. But they need more. So do my corals.

So any advice on frozen food would be awesome. I also have scallops, silversides and prawns in my freezer waiting to be eaten. Some know how on making easy to feed portions would be much appreciated

monocus
05-13-2012, 05:00 AM
chop it by hand-you can control the size of the chunks;plus you can control the amount your putting in your tank.i chop mine up while it's frozen

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-13-2012, 05:00 AM
The best way to blend your mixture is using a food processor,blend for a couple seconds at a time and in between blending scrape the sides of the blender housing to get even mixture,then remove some mixture for bigger fish and so on till pulverization that is good for your corals, once done mix all your food in a bowl then place on a plate in any shape you like then freeze it and have it ready in a ziplock bag to be used.

chandigz
05-13-2012, 05:15 AM
I Freeze oysters into a chunk and then use a grater for feeding coral and fish. I usually do a mix if fine and course. I find this creates the least amount of cloudyness. I also mash up fresh oysters with my hand. My golden dwarf eel likes them fresh off the half shell so he usually rips it apart and the other fish get the leftover bits floating by.

tim the toolman
05-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I use the slap chop and do it while it's frozen. Surprisingly it chops everything up nice and even

jtbadco
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
+1 on the grater. Do it while its frozen and use the 'nut or cheese' grater for a fine chop.

You can rinse in water to remove excess waste.

Proteus
05-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I throw the half shell in frozen and the fish pick it apart