PDA

View Full Version : Best bio pellet reactor?

aquatechy
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could advise me on a good bio-pellet reactor? Looking to get one for my 100 gal tank. Also need a pump for the reactor, any advice? I was aiming at around 300gph for a flow rate, so I've been going between the Sedra KSP3500, Mag 350, and the Eheim 1250...

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Vertex UL15 with the mesh screen or reef dynamic bio pellet reactor(pricy though)

NU-2reef
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Next reef smr1. What a beast!

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I have the smr1 also, love the built quality but hate the thumb screw cap...

Reef Pilot
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I have the Vertex UF20 reactor. Works great for me. It is narrow and tall, so uses a small footprint in my sump. I run it off a T from my return pump, and control the amount of tumble with the valve that it comes with on the input side. Just be sure to use mesh (from Michaels) inside, instead of the sponge filters or get the Vertex Pro-Bio Peller kit. The output is near the input to my skimmer.

I use the Vertex bio pellets along with MB7 with mine. I ramped it up slowly, but managed to run the whole 1000ml bag in the reactor. Then I just top it up about every 3 months, to keep it tumbling all the way to the top for maximum efficiency.

martinmcnally
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Check out the Reef Octopus ones. Great pricing. Uses the mesh and they have a bunch of different sizes. Also have the cone bottom for tumbling of pellets.

freezetyle
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Not so fond of the reef octopus ones. the one that i have running gets clogged fairly easily. the area that they have the mesh isnt wide enough, i ended up running it without that piece and hoping that the pellets wouldnt enter in the sump.

My vote is the reef dynamics one, or the new cad-lights cone reactor. of if you want a reactor that can can use if BP aren't your thing the vertex uf 15

Tracey2
05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Vertex, great flow

ILIKECOUGARS
05-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I using a Vertex UF20 reactor,with no bottom plate tee off the return pump.

I used to use a TLF 550 reactor until the flow blew a hole in the bottom of the reactor, using the same method with no bottom plate.

banditpowdercoat
05-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Whats a good pump to go with on the TLF 150? I can't get new reactor yet. But my present powerhead leaves something to be desired and the pellets clump and go stagnant.

Rice Reef
05-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Whats a good pump to go with on the TLF 150? I can't get new reactor yet. But my present powerhead leaves something to be desired and the pellets clump and go stagnant.

I have just jumped onto the biopellets bandwagon and I am currently using MJ1200 however, I am tumbling only 200ml of pellets... Only 35-40% as I am starting slow... I do have a mag 5 pump standing by as I plan to tumble 400-500ml eventually.

banditpowdercoat
05-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Yes, MJ1200 is what im using now and not enough flow i'm finding. OK if you manually shake the reactor every couple days but I work away fro 3 weeks at a time and sitters don't do that good a job on keeping reactor free

Rice Reef
05-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Yes, MJ1200 is what im using now and not enough flow i'm finding. OK if you manually shake the reactor every couple days but I work away fro 3 weeks at a time and sitters don't do that good a job on keeping reactor free

It has been tumbling great for two weeks and I have not given it a shake. I did soak the pellets for 24 hrs before adding it to the reactor though... I was told that helps it from clumping up...

aquatechy
05-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all your input guys -

Here's an update with what's happening on my end. Turns out the reactor that was my first choice, the nextreef SMR1, will not fit inside my sump. The next option is to go for a Vertex, but i want to explore some other options first. Some one posted earlier about a reef dynamics reactor, anyone know where I can get my hands on one of those locally or from a canadian site? (not planning on ordering directly from reef dynamics). And what about Reef Octopus? It seems some people have issues with them, but I don't mind having a look. But again, I don't know where I could find one...

bignose
05-12-2012, 06:01 AM
I have a deltec reactor and it works well.

freezetyle
05-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all your input guys -

Here's an update with what's happening on my end. Turns out the reactor that was my first choice, the nextreef SMR1, will not fit inside my sump. The next option is to go for a Vertex, but i want to explore some other options first. Some one posted earlier about a reef dynamics reactor, anyone know where I can get my hands on one of those locally or from a canadian site? (not planning on ordering directly from reef dynamics). And what about Reef Octopus? It seems some people have issues with them, but I don't mind having a look. But again, I don't know where I could find one...

if you can find a cheap calcium reactor, its basically the same thing. Ive seen a few videos on youtube where someone has taken one of the small bubble magus reactors and added mesh to the bottom plate and run it as a reactor.

aquatechy
06-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Hey guys, im having a bit of an issue with my bio pellets, here's a link to the post... no pressure, but any help would be great

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86852