PDA

View Full Version : Best bio pellets?

Gripenfelter
05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
What are the best bio pellets to use for nitrates/phosphates in a media reactor?

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I started using np pellets because they were they originator of biopolymer technology but changed to vertex since pretty much every lfs stocks them. I really don't think it matters on which ever brand you use as long as they are 100% pure bio degradable polymer then it's all good.

Gripenfelter
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I like the Vertex pricing. I was reading about them. Do they take care of phosphates too or just nitrates? What size pump do you use for your media reactor?

MarkoD
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Update on the drop off tank?

Gripenfelter
05-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Update on the drop off tank?

I took some pics and added them to the link in my signature a month ago. Added some blennies a few weeks ago.

Everything else is fine.

Bblinks
05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Here is the thing, as far as phosphate goes it will be absorbed as long as there is nitrate in the system but once one of the element is depleted it will not take up what is lefted over and in most cases it will be phosphate that's lefted over. I have been using rowaphos and foz down inconjunction with bio pellets and getting great results.

I use a next reef reactor, good build quality but I absolutely hate thumb screws as they are a pain in the a$$ to take off but since I only refill the reactor once every 3-6 month I have managed to live with it. Reef dynamic has a new reactor out designed for bio pellets, but when I went to check the price I nearly soiled myself. The concept of keeping the pellets at a constant thumble but restrict the amount of water being processed is awesome, but at that price I can convert a old calcium reactor todo the same thing and only with fraction of the cost.

kobelka
05-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey Grip,
I use the ones from BRS. So far so good. I think any are good as noted above.

tang daddy
05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I use to use NPX and Vertex however they kinda break down fast and without good strong flow fuse and gum up.

My friends started using Warner Marine which are slighty larger and require less flow and don't break down fast, I use them now and swear by them in combo with the vertex uf-20 which can handle stronger flow... I always also run an algae scrubber which is a awesome combo for stripping the phosphates left over by the biopellet.