PDA

View Full Version : Just found you guys!

Vagabond
03-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Hi everyone!

Just managed to find this site after spending sooo much time on Reefcentral etc.. Finally I have a place for local resources!

Can anyone catch me up to speed on Calgary Reefer club ie: meetings chat line etc..

Just getting back into the SW thing after being away for 20+ years and my head hurts from all the research trying to catch up on the incredible changes. Starting by putting together a 55g FOWLR with potential to add in a few corals as I improve my knowledge.

Got a million ?'s on where to go to get stuff and share info.

Look forward to hearing from any of you.

Vagabond Scott

martym
03-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Welcome. I think they (calgarians) just had a meeting. But they always seem to be up for an other.

Bob I
03-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Welcome. I am assuming you are from Calgary, although your profile says nothing about you. The Calgary group is quite active, and if you have any questions, I am sure someone will have an answer. We have recently had a meeting, and I am not sure if anything is planned for the near future. Why not tell us something about yourself ie what part of the city you reside in. etc. :mrgreen:

Vagabond
03-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi Bob,

I will go back in and fill in the profile in more detail but heres a snapshot.

Yes I live in Calgary and in fact am one of those rare few born and raised here. Currently I am living down in Mission (gotta love the whole 4th st. 17th Ave. area been here for 20 years).

Fell in love with the ocean and everything in it through family vacations where snorkeling and diving was prevalent.

Kept SW tanks, FO, for about 3 years until university took all my money LOL.

About to start again with a 55gal. I would love to go bigger but on the third floor of an older building I am a little concerned about sharing too closely my love of this hobby with my downstairs neighbor!

After lengthy research and reading and still feeling like a wet behind the ears Newbie I have arrived at:

56gal RR custom ie 40"x18"x18".
15 - 20 gal sump/fuge
75lbs LR
2" sand bed
AquaC urchin pro skimmer w Mag3
Mag 7 return to tank
Aqualight 2x96w PC lighting

Poke any holes in this setup you can all constructive criticism and suggestions are appreciated!

Scott
have length and width and w plus

Vagabond
03-21-2004, 02:01 AM
oops bottom of that post a typo ignore

MitchM
03-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Welcome! :cool:

Mitch

martym
03-21-2004, 02:43 AM
I would spend the money and get MH lighting. Having just gone through the whole thing, starting off with NO then PC's then anouther PC finally getting Mh. It's worth it the extra couple $$ right off the bat. IMO

Bob I
03-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Of course the whole lighting thing depends entirely on what you intend to keep in the tank. If your desire is SPS, or clams, then MH is the way to go. If you want to keep only softies, LPS etc, then the 2X96W aqualight is fine. I have one of those on my 50 with the above mentioned livestock, and i am perfectly happy with it. :rolleyes:

Delphinus
03-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Welcome to Canreef! :cool:

Canadian Man
03-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Welcome To Canreef!
Nice to see another born and bred Calgarian! :biggrin:

TANGOMAN
03-21-2004, 06:52 PM
From this "local-yocal" to another, glad ya' found us. I too was born here. Never cared to ask where I was bred however... :biggrin: A great bunch of people and growing...
I am the serious one around here... :rolleyes:

mnoll406
03-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey Scott,
Welcome to Canreef. I'm in mission too, 4th St and 18th Ave. You'll have to stop by and check out the tank sometime. I have mostly SPS.

Mike

RobbAdams
03-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Hello folks, I am also new here! I have ZERO Marine experience, but have been keeping FW for 7 or 8 years. I recently took possesion of my new condo in misson, and there was no room for my 90 gallon set up, so I am now tankless. I am still in the researching stage, but am deffinately going to give Marine a shot this time. I have a nook in my kitchen that is about 30 inches wide and about 14 inches deep. trying to figure out what kind of set up I can sqeeze in this small space! Any reccomendations on what type of set up I should be leaning towards in a system of this size? From the information I have gatherd so far I am leaning towards a live rock type set up with a couple of small fish. Really I am more interested in the corals and little critters like the shrimp and crabs Etc than the fish.

Robb

JoelF
03-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Welcome both of you! :mrgreen:

Quinn
03-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Welcome both.

Rob, you can get a cheap tank built to custom dimensions by InterAmerican locally... throw a halide over a 30" tank with a modified reflector and you're set. :mrgreen:

AJ_77
03-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Greetings, Guys (hope that 's accurate).

Robb: I am currently running a 29gal tank that has a footprint of 30x12". It's a decent size for what you're describing, but might still be tight for that space (30x14).

Vagabond
04-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Teevee,

When you say that interAmerican can custom build a tank cheap, what is cheap? and is their quality good.

I was going to have a custom 56g tank made but was up at Ocean Aquarium recently and he was willing to sell me a 50g (36x18x18) drill it and put in the internal overflow box for $149.00.

Think InterAmerican can do better?

Quinn
04-01-2004, 12:58 AM
http://go.to/interamerican

A fair number of us locals have tanks built by them and are happy. Some of their American customers have not been so lucky. I would call them for a quote.

Delphinus
04-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Welcome to Canreef! There must be 3 or 4 Canreefers in the Mission area now. :cool:

RobbAdams
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
What size of Halide would you reccomend? Actually I should start a new topic no?

Robb