PDA

View Full Version : PVC union help - leaking

aquatechy
05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with one of my PVC Unions. I was doing some plumbing modifications on one side the union, and when I screwed it back together Im getting a very slow leak from the threads on the union itself (not from where it connects to the pipes). Ahhhhh! :frown: Leaks are so frustrating. Any tips on how I can fix this??

Thanks.

reefwars
05-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Hi guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with one of my PVC Unions. I was doing some plumbing modifications on one side the union, and when I screwed it back together Im getting a very slow leak from the threads on the union itself (not from where it connects to the pipes). Ahhhhh! :frown: Leaks are so frustrating. Any tips on how I can fix this??

Thanks.

teflon tape:)

aquatechy
05-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Really? Right onto the union's threads? I thought we weren't supposed to do that??

reefwars
05-10-2012, 02:05 AM
ive used and seen it used many times whats the issue??

mark
05-10-2012, 02:10 AM
o-ring okay?

Nate
05-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Check the o-ring not designed to be teflon taped...

Delphinus
05-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Could be as simple as a grain of sand on the O-ring .. doesn't take much. Check for nicks or abrasions too. Worst case scenario, you can replace the O-ring. Home Depot, etc. carry various O-ring sizes but if you're really in a bind and can't find the right size, get one that's too big, cut it size and butt-end the cut ends together and glue together with superglue or frag glue. Should do the trick...

The Guy
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Could be as simple as a grain of sand on the O-ring .. doesn't take much. Check for nicks or abrasions too. Worst case scenario, you can replace the O-ring. Home Depot, etc. carry various O-ring sizes but if you're really in a bind and can't find the right size, get one that's too big, cut it size and butt-end the cut ends together and glue together with superglue or frag glue. Should do the trick...Lordco sells O-rings all sizes and cheap,also the O-ring may look ok as mentioned but for the cost replace it. Don't over tighten. :biggrin:

aquatechy
05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Im going out on a o-ring hunt this afternoon, i'll post the status soon

11purewater
11-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Lubricate the 'o' ring with K-y.(not kidding,I use this trick when I'm building Hemo Dialysis systems, non toxic and water soluable.)This should also be done when installing an ro membrane for a better brine seal.

FragIt Dan
11-07-2012, 01:29 AM
You can get silicone lubricant from a dive shop that is designed for that purpose. I use it in lieu of glue on PVC and ABS connections that I don't want to glue and they don't leak.

Dan