PDA

View Full Version : Chiller recharge cost?

Aquattro
05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
anyone ever recharge their chiller? I think my recent freezing event caused the excessive use of the gas...if so, what did it cost?

Mandosh
05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I thought you only needed to recharge if you had a leak?

Cal_stir
05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
freezing may have damaged the evaporator, probably cheeper to replace the chiller.

Aquattro
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
freezing may have damaged the evaporator, probably cheeper to replace the chiller.

That's what I'm worried about :)

BlueWorldAquatic
05-09-2012, 08:53 PM
check with an air conditioning company

sphelps
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Perhaps with the new LEDs you won't need the chiller. Might be wise to wait until you get them if possible.

cwatkins
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
The 'gas' doesn't get used up. It can only leak out. Alternatively, you could have damaged the compressor when it froze up.

Aquattro
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Perhaps with the new LEDs you won't need the chiller. Might be wise to wait until you get them if possible.

Ya, but I was still a month away on those! Might need an accelerated schedule.

Aquattro
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
The 'gas' doesn't get used up. It can only leak out. Alternatively, you could have damaged the compressor when it froze up.

Ya, I've just read up a bit on it, gas is good forever if it stays clean and doesn't leak out. I'll look it further tonight, but probably not worth fixing..

tang daddy
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't think your compressor is hooped Brad, if it freezes again it means you are low on gas or have a leak, I would use it till it breaks and get a new one, does your chiller run when the lights are off?

I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of your chiller even if you have led, both of my tanks use chiller, one runs led one runs t5. My house gets sun all day long into every window. The tanks are on a second floor. You could run a remote sump in the basement where it's cooler and that should put less of a load on the chiller.....

To fill the R2 gas it should cost you around $150-200 bucks from any hvac company as they are all certified with gas tickets. If you were here I could fill your chiller for $80....some of my friends arel hvac guys and will help for beer money.....

Aquattro
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, it's running when it's supposed to, but suddenly not chilling much. It could have a slight leak, which would explain why it ran for weeks after it froze (from the pump failing). Just trying to scrape up enough spare cash for lights and control module, and hopefully that's enough. I'll try to fix the chiller, it's an expensive unit (Aqualogic Delta Star 5 1/2hp), so I don't want to toss it. Even if I fix it and sell it I should be able to recover something.

StirCrazy
05-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, it's running when it's supposed to, but suddenly not chilling much. It could have a slight leak, which would explain why it ran for weeks after it froze (from the pump failing). Just trying to scrape up enough spare cash for lights and control module, and hopefully that's enough. I'll try to fix the chiller, it's an expensive unit (Aqualogic Delta Star 5 1/2hp), so I don't want to toss it. Even if I fix it and sell it I should be able to recover something.

let me sent a couple e-mails out and see if I can get that checked out for cheep for ya. I'll try get ya a cost of materials and beer price haha

Steve

Aquattro
05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
let me sent a couple e-mails out and see if I can get that checked out for cheep for ya. I'll try get ya a cost of materials and beer price haha

Steve

Actually, after that day, it's been fine. Maybe it was tired?? :razz:

StirCrazy
05-11-2012, 10:59 PM
tired of smoke :wink:

haha, could have been lots of things.

Steve