PDA

View Full Version : Chiller or.....

reefer403
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
quick question for you guys. Just started my first saltwater 3 months ago. Things have been good until yesterday when temps got a little high here. My house gets quite warm. I am wondering if I need a chiller or would an A/C unit work to maintain as it hasnt overheated on the mild days. Was just thinking I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get the A/C that would benefit my household as well. Any advice is appreciated!

dc4
05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I had the same dilemma when I first started, ended up buying a used chiller and it just started too turn on a few days ago. Our house doesn't get too hot and we can get by just opening the windows so that factored into the decision. If your place is unbearable in the summer and can get a air conditioner big enough, then that would make more sense. So it really depends on the situation and if money is not a factor, then get both, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

tang daddy
05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
It hasn't been hot here in Vancouver, although my chiller has been running with the lights off and on even in the evening when the lights are off, at 1130 pm my house was still sitting at 21c. I would be nice to go for an AC unit over a chiller although that costs more on electricity because cooling a house is larger than a tank. I don't mind the warm weather as we only enjoy it for a few months out of the year here in rainy Vancouver. I run my lights on a semi reverse cycle, they come on at 3pm because I get to enjoy my tank when I get home from work and most times am up late so I can enjoy my tank till 330am.... When I am home in the evenings I will open the windows for free cooling and a nice cool night breeze. To be honest I would get a chiller rather than an AC, but then again it's all personal preference!