PDA

View Full Version : New Calgary "aspiring enthusiast"

Dlo132
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi all- just wanted to introduce my self.

I'm Dallas, and am looking at getting into a saltwater aquarium. I am a self proclaimed research whore, and avid do-it-yourselfer, but am quickly finding the amount of conflicting information mind boggling.

I was a member of the CAS many moons ago (10 years) and am hoping to have a similar positive experience here.

The amount of local info in here is awesome and just wanted to give an early "thank you" to all those whose brain I will be picking in the future.

Can't wait to be able to participate in the discussions- Hopefully I will talk to you all soon!

yellowworld
05-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Welcome Dallas! Glad to have here

Nano
05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome to Canreef :)

You'll have to start a build thread once you start your tank:mrgreen:

globaldesigns
05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome!!!

ScubaSteve
05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the dark side :twised:

Dlo132
05-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm not hooked yet--- I still haven't found a tank (apparently they are sealed with gold here in Calgary). Who knew used tanks were so expensive!!

I'm looking at a 75ish gallon bow front, but need to see of they will drop in price. Anyone recommend a place to browse some tanks locally?

Nano
05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I would check the buy and sell section on here I saw a 75g bowfront with stand and sump I believe a dew days ago not sure where its from though

Nano
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85928
here it is, its in BC bu for $150 + shipping your probably still saving..

jorjef
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
It's hard to say welcome to the hobby, such unbridled optimism mixed in with an overabundance of enthusiasm and chomping at the bit to open the wallet and spend with giggly glee only to be...... brought down to earth, to the reality of hours of agonizing over this test reading and that test reading, to hours deciding what fish to put in next to having it leap the next day. Pining over "why don't these corals stay alive for me"!!! OH OH and what about floods what will happen, the power heads that are stuck!, the ALGAE, GOD NOT MORE ALGAE. What do you mean I have to lower my nitrates!! HUH I need to dose?? what the hell is that? ....... (passssing out from hyyyperventalating) ...... Whew, better now... Welcome and enjoy..:biggrin:

DiverDude
05-08-2012, 07:18 PM
You can check kijiji for used tanks. You'll find a lot of freshwater stuff on there but some salty stuff as well. You'll find a lot of it overpriced but you can sometimes get a fair deal.

You'll get better options form the buy and sell section of this site but there isn't always a lot of stuff available. If you have time and are patient, something will come along.

Welcome.

Dlo132
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
It's hard to say welcome to the hobby, such unbridled optimism mixed in with an overabundance of enthusiasm and chomping at the bit to open the wallet and spend with giggly glee only to be...... brought down to earth, to the reality of hours of agonizing over this test reading and that test reading, to hours deciding what fish to put in next to having it leap the next day. Pining over "why don't these corals stay alive for me"!!! OH OH and what about floods what will happen, the power heads that are stuck!, the ALGAE, GOD NOT MORE ALGAE. What do you mean I have to lower my nitrates!! HUH I need to dose?? what the hell is that? ....... (passssing out from hyyyperventalating) ...... Whew, better now... Welcome and enjoy..:biggrin:

I had a very succesful planted freshwater tank after dealing with almost every problem you listed above (and I know saltwater is much more finicky so I'm fully expecting at least a few heart attacks)

I pm'd the member with the tank- anyone know the best way to ship it to Calgary If he is willing?

Are all bow fronts acrylic? Too... Much... Information!!!

I am In no pain to set up. I'd like to see a few successful setups locally so I can plan properly. Also going to Red Coral to pick the owners brain today.

ElGuappo
05-08-2012, 08:26 PM
I have a 72 bow for sale. $400. Need lights and a skimmer pump. Other than that its ready to go. Stainless steel stand and canopy.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk.

reefwars
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I had a very succesful planted freshwater tank after dealing with almost every problem you listed above (and I know saltwater is much more finicky so I'm fully expecting at least a few heart attacks)

I pm'd the member with the tank- anyone know the best way to ship it to Calgary If he is willing?

Are all bow fronts acrylic? Too... Much... Information!!!

I am In no pain to set up. I'd like to see a few successful setups locally so I can plan properly. Also going to Red Coral to pick the owners brain today.

come see mine im close to red coral and im actually having people over all evening for frags so if you wanted to swing by and check out the system ill be here:) just pm me for address:)

Dlo132
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm down for a visit, although every time I hear frag I think of playing Quake.

Coralgurl
05-08-2012, 09:44 PM

That so hits the nail on the head!!!

Dallas, if you aren't hooked yet, you soon will be, this hobby is hugely addictive and bank account draining....but you've found a great place for all sorts of info, equipment for sale, fish and corals! Ask loads of questions if needed, this is a great community! Welcome!!

Enigma
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not hooked yet--- I still haven't found a tank (apparently they are sealed with gold here in Calgary). Who knew used tanks were so expensive!!

I'm looking at a 75ish gallon bow front, but need to see of they will drop in price. Anyone recommend a place to browse some tanks locally?

Honestly . . . I'd check Pisces or Big Al's for sales. I have found that a lot of the tanks on Kijiji are overpriced, there is no guarantee of how old they are (silicone and glass may be reaching the end of their lifespans), there is no warranty, and who knows whether or not medications containing copper have been used in them. It has been alleged that silicone can absorb and leach copper.

If you can find one owned by a serious hobbyist who would candidly discuss a used tank's age and history with you (so you can make a sound decision), that would be ideal. I just don't know how likely it is.

reefwars
05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Honestly . . . I'd check Pisces or Big Al's for sales. I have found that a lot of the tanks on Kijiji are overpriced, there is no guarantee of how old they are (silicone and glass may be reaching the end of their lifespans), there is no warranty, and who knows whether or not medications containing copper have been used in them. It has been alleged that silicone can absorb and leach copper.

If you can find one owned by a serious hobbyist who would candidly discuss a used tank's age and history with you (so you can make a sound decision), that would be ideal. I just don't know how likely it is.

i reseal any tank i get regardless of its age or who owned it:)

imo buying a complete set up is the only way to go, tear the set up down and cook rock and clean equipment, keep what you want sell the rest....

my whole system was very cheap. a little love and its now a system:)

unless dollars is no object of course...a good setup can be bought complete for 1000-1500 any less i would be skeptical anymore and it better be worth it:)

like when buying anything its buyer beware, research your buys and ask those with knowlege to double check yopur potential purchase:)

dallas was great to meet you when you get a tank come back and see me i will frag you right up lol:P

DCDN
05-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Welcome to Canreef. I learned a great deal when I first started just by reading here. Never expected it to become the addiction it is now.

fishytime
05-09-2012, 12:08 AM
*said in Ricardo Montalbon type voice*....welcome to fantasy island.....oooops wrong forum:redface:......ya, anyway, welcome......I'd check with Dave at Concept (sponsor here).....outstanding build quality.....

Dlo132
05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks all for the welcome- D, thanks for letting me check out your setup. I have the fever, but after way too many impulse buys when i was younger, I am waiting to find a decent deal on a setup. (preferably someone who went crazy at the start, spend ridiculous amounts of money, and nuked everything in a couple days)--- :biggrin:

I may email Dave @ concept to get an idea of the cost on an a tank and stand, as everyone has great things to say about those guys. I just do not want to get TOO far into this and have the $$$ run out to not be able to do it all right.

To quell my frenzy I am going to try my hand at a litle Pico Vase tank, as the cost is minimal, and while i am losing my ming over the bigger tank sitting while the water starts getting cleared, I'll have somehting else to practice on!

Snappy
05-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Welcome to Canreef!
Yes the hobby has it's ups & down but if things were too easy one might lose interest. Yes it's always something but it's worth it and just like in other aspects of life:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/Trainer02/detritus-1.gif

We just have to get over it! :wink:
Good luck with your new ventures.

Enigma
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
i reseal any tank i get regardless of its age or who owned it:)

I can certainly see someone who is handy being able to replace silicone. I tried it, once. It didn't turn out very pretty. :o I'm pretty sure there is no way it would have leaked, though.

I've been told that when glass ages beyond a "certain point" (whatever that is) it becomes a real challenge to drill.

like when buying anything its buyer beware, research your buys and ask those with knowlege to double check your potential purchase:)

Is there anything that can be done to determine how old a tank really is? That has been my huge hold-up in buying used. Well, that and the answer "I don't know if medication containing copper was used in it, I bought it used."

Dlo132
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
As I hunt for a tank setup (the wife said go 90 gallons!), I set up a pico tank similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPleEReXxfs&feature=channel&list=UL

The only real cost was the live rock- which i bought WAY to much of.

I realized i can get RO water from my work in small batches and salt up myself- although i did buy a jug of premixed salt water today. All in all everything was about $100, and if i could of found my old aquarium stuff would of been much cheaper.

If anyone knows of anyone else looking to get rid of a decent 90 gallon setup for a reasonable price send me a pm!!!

Dlo132
05-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Tank bought and moved- so far the only casualties were some turbo snails- considering it was a running setup 90G with fish, inverts, live rock- in pretty impressed!

I had a scare yesterday when I found what I suspected to be the arms of a coral banded shrimp stuck to a powerhead, but alas, someone just molted that night.

Overall I'm pretty stoked! Ammonia and nitrates (nitrites? The bad one) are 0 three days in. And everyone seems to be eating (the comet and mandarin are eating frozen from the pipette).

Thanks all for all the advice!

Enigma
05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
What tank did you purchase? Pics? :)

If you decide you want more Turbos, Red Coral here in town has some Mexican Turbo Snails. They are little bulldozers, but they eat loads of algae. They keep my tank so free of algae that I need to supplement their diets. I don't even need to clean the glass.

Dlo132
05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I got a 90g complete setup- pretty sweet deal. I'll try and get some pics up. It's not really a build thread as everything was complete.