PDA

View Full Version : White stringy stuff on acro

Palmer
05-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi all

I made this video showing my acro colony that has a patch of white stringy stuff on its base as well as it is now growing some strings on various branches. Anyone know what this is?

thanks,

Palmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yAc-Z3tOc

bignose
05-08-2012, 12:54 AM
It could be tissue necrosis.

Nano
05-08-2012, 12:58 AM
my birdsnest did that when I introduced it, but it was just the tip of one, so I snapped it off and its fine, in fact the piece I broke off still lives :P
Could be necrosis, but others have told me that sps gets hair and stuff caught on it easily.. not sure

bignose
05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Has something touched the coral? Maybe it's slime.

subman
05-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Looks like spawning to me.

(Love the Zepplin in the background!)

dc4
05-08-2012, 02:37 AM
I have that happen once a while with my acros, no harm has come to them so far though...

ScubaSteve
05-08-2012, 03:33 AM
Tough to tell because you don't keep the damn camera still long enough :razz: but it looks almost like misenterial filaments to me (ie. it's ticked about something and it putting out sweeps to see if there are any encroaching neighbors).

Palmer
05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Tough to tell because you don't keep the damn camera still long enough :razz: but it looks almost like misenterial filaments to me (ie. it's ticked about something and it putting out sweeps to see if there are any encroaching neighbors).

I looked at some pics and vids of misenterial filaments and I think you are right. There is a birdsnest that is moving towrds this corals space but still quite far. From what I read they are also used for feeding/prey capture so it may be a feeding response I suppose.

Thanks for the input everyone. :biggrin:

ashr
05-08-2012, 06:03 AM
I have this when ever I add mew SPS to my tank.. or if I am moving one SPS frag around... Happens alot and mine are always fine :) looks like they are slimming at the tips I guess

monocus
05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
every night when i feed rotifers and phyto my agro puts out a lot of sweeper threads about an inch long

Palmer
05-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the comments. Weird this morning all the stringy stuff was gone and didnt see it this evening either. I am guessing it isnt a huge problem. Will keep an eye on it. By the vid you can see it was clearly (despite any camera movement :biggrin:) in many places on the colony the other day.

tang daddy
05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
As some had mentioned the white stringy stuff is feeder tentacles, I visited a members house that had verified this and sure enough have noticed this on my tank after feeding..... Nothing to worry about!

Cugio
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I noticed that on my one acro frag a couple hours after the moonlights came on.