PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting rid of the Sump

Skimmerking
05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
as you all know. I have down sized and now i have a RSM 250 drilled. However im thinking that im getting bored with having the tank drilled and may go back to having a simple setup. Plug the Bulkhead, Run the Deltec MCE 500 skimmer in the back chamber. Along with taking the sump off line. theonly thing i really have is the top off going. and with that im not evaporating anything.

What are your thoughts.

Casey8
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Adding the sump will give you more water volume.

Borderjumper
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't have a sump in my RSM and I don't think you need one. I use a little bubble Magnus skimmer in the back chamber.. It fits ok but I have to leave the little lid thing open. It's going to get a little warm in the summer, but leaving the little back lid thing open and setting a piece of egg rate over one side with a comp fan running solves the heat problem.

MarkoD
05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I'd keep the sump for extra water volume. And then put a glass cover over it so it doesn't evaporate as much.

Seriak
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Why are you getting bored with it? I personally like the extra water volume that I know I will not fill with livestock.

justincgdick
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Not sure how you get bored with a sump? Do you watch it instead of your display? :P

Nano
05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
But Greg worked so hard to make it fit! :lol: I would keep it IMO, gives you water volume, a place for a bigger skimmer then you will fit in the back of the tank, refugium, a place for hitch hikers, blah blah blah..

Casey8
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Not sure how you get bored with a sump? Do you watch it instead of your display? :P

Good questions :mrgreen:

ashr
05-09-2012, 12:19 AM
How do you like the deltec?

Skimmerking
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
How do you like the deltec?

Ashr I dont have a deltec skimmer I have the SWC CONE 160 that is in the sump.

wickedfrags
05-09-2012, 08:50 PM
goodbye sump means hello surface scum and poor aeration.....

sphelps
05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Is it broken? Cause if not, don't fix it! :lol:

I don't see any benefit to come from removing the sump, so if it's already got one running it makes no sense to remove. I think you need another hobby Mike, before this one starts taking hits resulting from your boredom.

Madmak
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
IMO its like a bit like a wife. It might seem like a good idea to have one less thing to look after but after a while things will gets messy and expensive without her. I mean it. The sump.

Doug
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM

So my 20g sps tank is doomed?

Doug
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I,m guessing he,s thinking of it because his tank has a very nice rear sump, that works very well as another poster mentioned.

Not like it would have no sump. If I could afford and had the room for a similar tank after my move, you could be guaranteed I would run it with the designed rear sump.

Although his set up with the sump already, is pretty nice I must admit.

Borderjumper
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Not the case. With the overflow feeding the back chambers I have excellent surface skimming and with the two return pumps no problem with aeration. I've been running it quite happily for 2 years now..

Doug
05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Not the case. With the overflow feeding the back chambers I have excellent surface skimming and with the two return pumps no problem with aeration. I've been running it quite happily for 2 years now..

From looking at Mikes, it looks like a great design, {the tank and rear sump}. As I said, if a bit less money I would look at one for my new place in Kamloops, instead of my 35g cube with a sump.

I would guess WF means in general with no sump? Must admit I have seen exactly that before in newer aquarists aquariums with no sumps. However I have no such problems in my 20g with the large power filter and MP 20 churning things up and no skimmer.

wickedfrags
05-10-2012, 12:31 AM
not having a could be one of many variables resulting in such a small tank not being ideally suited for the long term success of sps corals in such a small system. there are many others...i don't know many who enter successfully maintain sps without a sump long term, but that is only me. if you get into sps you usually have a sump...just sayin

So my 20g sps tank is doomed?

there are alternatives, as you mentioned, but tough to ague with the MANY other benefits a sump offers, that is why most reef hobbyists eventually incorporate them

Skimmerking
05-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Is it broken? Cause if not, don't fix it! :lol:

I don't see any benefit to come from removing the sump, so if it's already got one running it makes no sense to remove. I think you need another hobby Mike, before this one starts taking hits resulting from your boredom. So I need another hobby from my boredom boredom why would you say that cause I'm trying different things or may be that i like the change in seeing if its better the other way:hand:

wickedfrags
05-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Post some pictures! Both full tank/stand and the sump...or just the sump.

There always ways to tweek/modify a system when you get into that phase. Been there done that many times.....since the 90's!

So I need another hobby from my boredom boredom why would you say that cause I'm trying different things or may be that i like the change in seeing if its better the other way:hand:

Skimmerking
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
i will im just super busy i guess i should since i always crap on others for no pictures... lol i will tonight