PDA

View Full Version : Clearance from wall..

Magma
05-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Just curious what everyone thinks for how far away from the wall a tank should be?

Im about to place my stand and tank into place hopefully end of this week. Now it does not have any of the plumbing done and the tank is drilled for 2 x 3/4" return lines. It also has a central overflow so that wont be an issues as it goes straight down into the sump.

I figure with 2 cords plugged in they will need about 3.5" of clearance at least, plus the 3/4" bulk heads stick out about 1" and I need to account of the plumbing (never really done this before so im not sure how much space I really need).

What does anyone else have behind their tanks? would 6" be enough? or do I need more?

Mike-fish
05-07-2012, 03:09 AM
one trick that is a rear must plumb then move into position leak test while its out in the open if possible. i would give your self 8-10" at least

Magma
05-07-2012, 03:16 AM
so plumb the whole back then slide the tank, stand and sump back towards the wall?

yikes..im gonna need an army to do that tank is 72x20x20 euro braced, sump is 60x16x16 and the stand is 72l x 20w x 32h

think the tank and sump alone are closer to a couple hundred lbs not to mention its a steel stand with 5/8 plywood :s

seems I got a lot of hard work this coming week...

sphelps
05-07-2012, 03:21 AM
zero is best IMO, plumb through the overflow or through extra holes in the base. If you have to plumb through the back glass then you pretty much have to leave enough space so you can replace the bulkhead if need be.

Magma
05-07-2012, 03:25 AM
zero is best IMO, plumb through the overflow or through extra holes in the base. If you have to plumb through the back glass then you pretty much have to leave enough space so you can replace the bulkhead if need be.

yah I guess that makes sense if something fails you need to be able to get to it some what.

Guess I will be leaving about 10" from the wall going to try and keep all the plumbing as tight as possible. Below the tank wont be so bad its 1 straight pipe and then 1 flex into the end of the sump.

subman
05-07-2012, 03:37 AM
I left 3 3/4" so I can reach behind and also leaves space for my vortechs.

gregzz4
05-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Depending on your setup, you need enough room to service your plumbing.
With a tank that size I'd recommend you leave at least enough room to get your arms around and down the back.

With my last 6' 125g I didn't leave enough room to clean the back glass with a mag float.
When I splashed water down the back, I couldn't clean off the streaks

gregzz4
05-07-2012, 03:39 AM
I left 3 3/4" so I can reach behind and also leaves space for my vortechs.
I did that with my 125g :smile:
I couldn't clean the outside of the back glass :wink:

reefgirl189
05-07-2012, 03:48 AM
I have my tank right up against the wall. Zero clearance. It's recessed into a wall actually and I've left nothing but .5" for clearance on one side - just enough to sneak the cords in behing the side of the tank. I wouldn't do it any other way for this house but having a set up like this limits me on a few things. I had to do without the vortech's for example unless I wanted them on my viewing pane of glass.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/christinadouma149/IMG_4199.jpg

In my next house I will have a set up like some of the mnoster tank guys here on canreef - with its own sump and quarantine room in behind the tank so I can have infinate clearance for whatever you can imagine.

gregzz4
05-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Nothing wrong with that look as it's awesome :mrgreen:
Just makes more work when you clean the back glass :wink:
Hope you have access to all your plumbing ...
Still, it looks wonderful ... like it was made to fit there

reefgirl189
05-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Nothing wrong with that look as it's awesome :mrgreen:
Just makes more work when you clean the back glass :wink:
Hope you have access to all your plumbing ...
Still, it looks wonderful

We built this house knowing that there would be a big aquarium going in that spot. We had the builder put in all the proper goulams (sp?) and bracing for the floor. Looking back now I think I would have had an 8 foot space instead of a 6 foot space in the wall, lol :)

The back glass is vinyl wrapped so I just scrape it from the inside only - I don't see the spots on the back. And all the plumbing is mounted underneath and goes to the sump room in the basement:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/christinadouma149/IMG_4103.jpg

Anyway! Sorry OP! Didn't meant to hijack your thread. I think having at least an inch of clearance behind your tank could be beneficial for cords and what not if you have open sides that won't allow you to hide them as easily as I can.

Magma
05-07-2012, 04:09 AM
With my last 6' 125g I didn't leave enough room to clean the back glass with a mag float.
When I splashed water down the back, I couldn't clean off the streaks

back of the tank is black so thats not a problem lol and its going to be in the middle of the house, kinda in between the big bay window and the patio door so it will have the front and both ends open to view.

gregzz4
05-07-2012, 04:13 AM
The back glass is vinyl wrapped so I just scrape it from the inside only - I don't see the spots on the back. And all the plumbing is mounted underneath and goes to the sump room in the basement:
I think that's the first time I've seen that view. That looks SOOO nice :razz:

gregzz4
05-07-2012, 04:14 AM
back of the tank is black so thats not a problem lol and its going to be in the middle of the house, kinda in between the big bay window and the patio door so it will have the front and both ends open to view.
Just warning ya is all.
I had a velcro backdrop on that last tank and it was a pain to clean the back :wink:

Mike-fish
05-07-2012, 04:21 AM
i slid my 175g tank stand and sump i "cheat" a bit the stand has a floor and the whole thing sits on 3/4" ply. i will be doing the same with the 270g when the time comes

Magma
05-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Just warning ya is all.
I had a velcro backdrop on that last tank and it was a pain to clean the back :wink:

Mine is black vinyl so apart from it peeling off (which if it was applied correctly wont happen) then i wont need to worry about it other than build up of coraline which is fine for me.