PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advise

Nemain
03-20-2004, 03:01 PM
My Anthias is still in hiding, he still comes out to eat. Now my lawnmower blenny is doing the same, but not eating. They arent moving, they just sit near the bottom of the tank.

I am going to pull them out of the tank today for QT,my main concern is that my QT is only 20 gal. Not so bad for the blenny - shear hell or the anthias (He is only about 2" long now).

My other concern is that I have no idea what is wrong. Corals are all thriving, anenome is thriving, and all the other fish are still fine.

I don't want to put them in QT to just watch them die =(

ANy idea's/help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Beth

Bob I
03-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I think I would let them be. Taking them out of their environment might just exacerbate whatever is bothering them. Especially since they show no symptoms. Putting them into a treatment tank to treat an unknown seems counterproductive. IMHO anyway.

TANGOMAN
03-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I would tend to agree with Bob. Could this be a first... :confused: . ?
If unable to diagnose the problem, treatment is futile and the stress of moving could be detrimental as mentioned.
Get back to the "basics" and try and find a possible issue with water quality ? Consistancy with temp. etc ? Any changes in the past since this began or has it been since the beginning ? This is when a log book is handy but I too fail to keep one. :redface: .
Compatability issue ? External stress ? (Hands in the tank too often).
My initial response is to replace the GAC and do it often to rid the system of a possible contaminant. Ensure all filtration and powerheads are functioning properly.
All the best ! Keep us posted.

Nemain
03-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Water quality is super, probably the best it has been. Last week I took everything down and cleaned anything that had a washable surface scrubbed and cleaned out my pump and my PH's. Temperature is consistant, ph is consistant, alk consistant, calc consistant. None are what I would call perfect, but are unchanged. No phospahte, nitrate, or amonia.

I havent tested for any metals as my inverts are all fine.

The only reason I want to take them out is for fear that it is some sort of parasite. Although I have no idea how it would have been introduced into my tank. I am grasping at strings I suppose.

Any sugestions on trying to get the blenny to eat?

Thanks,

Beth

Buccaneer
03-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Any sugestions on trying to get the blenny to eat?

Thanks,

Beth

My Algae Blenny loves Nori with garlic ... so do the Foxface, Yellow Tang and Naso Tang :cool:

Delphinus
03-20-2004, 06:09 PM
My suggestion too, is to leave them be if there isn't visible signs of parasites. My guess is if you just went through a fairly thorough cleaning, things are probably "not quite the same" as they were before (rearranged rocks, etc.,) and they're probably just getting reaquainted with their surroundings, so a little on the shy side.

Algae/lawnmower blennies probably take a while (like .. months) to take to prepared foods. So him not coming out to eat doesn't surprise me. When they take to it though, boy do they take to it.

TANGOMAN
03-20-2004, 06:19 PM
My experience with Blenny's is minimal so I don't feel I could offer any valid guidance there. Variety... :confused: .
I can empathize with your fear of a parsite and wanting to isolate however I'm of the belief that if you suspect a fish has been infested, it's obviously present in the system so the other fish have already been exposed to it. Their immunie system is just capable of dealing with it. Disturbing the tank trying to capture a few inhabitants will merely stress them all out, thus weakening their immunities. Besides, there's no indicators of a parasite. Not externally at least. As mentioned, these are merely my beliefs, some may disagree. It's difficult to determine when to treat, what are we treating, who get's treated etc. In a "perfect world" we wouldn't have to ponder those decisions...

Nemain
03-20-2004, 06:28 PM
The blenny was eating cyclopeeze and PE mysis, as well as the hair & spagetti algae in my tank =)

He diapeared 2 days ago, and yesterday I found him under my frilly mushrooms, I scopped him up with the net, he didnt move an inch. He is deffinately not well.

Where can I get nori?????

Also, the cleaning spree was a futile attempt to fix a problem I couldnt find. Guess I will just wait it out and hope for the best =(

Thanks All,

Beth

Stretch
03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I bought nori at T&T super market in west ed (the asian food store)

kari
03-20-2004, 09:13 PM
There's Nori at your average grocery store around here (eg. Coop)

Nemain
03-23-2004, 03:43 AM
The Anthias has been laying on its side for 2 days now, I cant get him to eat anything. He is so placid that I was able to actually pick him up with my hands to inspect him. The most movement I have seen out of him in weeks was today when a hermit crab grabbed on to his tail, and even then it certainly wasnt vigorous. The fact that the crabs are already considering him lunch does not bode well.

I am so frustrated and afraid for not only this fish, but the others. If it is a parasite will it not leave the host as soon as it is dead?

Any ideas? Wish my vet took care of tropical fish!

Beth

r_wellwood
03-23-2004, 03:52 AM
I don't know if this will help at all, but do you have good surface agitation on your tank, as well as a good source of oxygen in the water?

If you have a skimmer that should be enough to introduce oxygen and promote gas exchange. It is a long shot, but fish that are not doing well may not be 'breathing' well... (so to speak)

RW

Nemain
03-23-2004, 04:50 AM
All the other fish are fine, and I have a skimmer, a canister filter, a 1200 pump, and 2 106 powerheads. I think oxygen is OK. corals are great too. Brings me back to my parasite fear, just dont knwo what else would only affect 2 of 8 fish.

Beth

Nemain
03-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Arcenciel (the Anthias) died early this morning =(

Thank You all for your advice and help,

Beth