PDA

View Full Version : Clam questions

Kit with Cat
05-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Hi everyone,
I have just purchased a new crocea clam, and I know he's high intensity...so should I just put him to the very top of the aquarium after a week of acclimatizing at the bottom??
Also, I have another clam (not sure what type...but here's a picture) and he fell off the top of the rocks and landed where he is. I've had him there for 3-4 months and he seems happy, but should I move him to where there's more light? How do I move him? the rock he's on is a base rock and there's no way I can move that.
Thanks everyone!

Aquattro
05-06-2012, 01:41 AM
What do you have for lights?

fishytime
05-06-2012, 02:29 AM
lighting is gonna be the main concern(depending on the species of clam), that and you dont want them falling....if they spend any extended period of time upside down they are gonners

Kit with Cat
05-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Oops I run T5's...4 white ones and 2 blue ones, change every 8-10 months. I run them for 8 hours daily.

Proteus
05-06-2012, 03:53 AM
I'd keep them high. You will see in the mantle if there not getting the light they need.
As for the one that fell if you move it check it's footing. The threads can be cut with a razor

shootingstar
05-06-2012, 03:27 PM
[quote=Titus99;713929] You will see in the mantle if there not getting the light they need.

Since this might be helpful for lots of folks when they start out with clams, could you maybe describe WHAT you would see in the mantle if they are not getting enough light?

Proteus
05-06-2012, 11:12 PM
It Litteraly will deteriorate. The opening get large and seem like its ripping open

Kit with Cat
05-07-2012, 01:00 AM
So does this look like what you described as ripping open? I *just* bought this guy. If he's not healthy, I should probably return him.

Proteus
05-07-2012, 01:12 AM
It looks good. The siphon is a "tear" so to speak but when it gets large and looses color thats what you need to look for. You may also see other holes on either side of the siphon.
Your clam is one that requires higher light though. I have very similar one that even under halides I'd half was up my rock work