PDA

View Full Version : nps corals.. orange carnation and bluberry gorg

nrosdal
05-05-2012, 09:01 PM
i just got this little blueberry gorgonian from a fellow canreefer(thanks brent) i have been feeding it Fauna Marin ultra seafan/coral frenzy/fauna marin ultra clam all mixed together and it is definitely looking better then when it went in.

i also have an orange Dendronephthya in the tank which i have been feeding the same mix as well as a finely processes meaty mix that i made in blender.

i feed usually 3 times daily with the powdered mix and a couple times a week with the meaty mix. Should i be adding something like phyto feast? or rotifiers? was even considering trying to grow my own phyto...

If you have experience with either of these, please chime in and lemme know what you did to keep em happy.

Thanks for any help :)

and sorry for the blurry phone pics...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2012-05-05114628.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2012-03-23193531-1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2012-03-27184946.jpg

monocus
05-06-2012, 03:07 AM
i feed rotifers,brine shrimp,and phytoplankton that i make daily.spirenella in your fish food would also probably help

daniella3d
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
The blueberry gorgonian is a lost cause. No one ever managed to keep it long term even in a dedicated tank for NP with constant feeding. I suspect that it needs very specific zooplankton live (not phyto at all) and it needs it alive.

Maybe live rotifer would make big difference. Also they come from colder water so keeping them at 78F is not a good thing long term. They live in deeper water. I would keep them at no more than 74F, lower if you can, and feed it rotifers about 10 times per days. Then maybe you would have a small chance to keep it alive for more than 4 months.

I can see yours has already started to lose flesh. It's on its way out I am guessing and will be hard to keep alive. It will keep losing flesh until there is no more.

monocus
05-06-2012, 03:42 PM
over 21 carnations,3 seafans,1 blueberry.almost 2 years in my 220,4 years at another location.78-80 degrees.i feed rotifers once a day,3 types of live phyto once a day and a heavy brine shrimp feeding at night.it can be done.i use a bullet 2 skimmer,algae scrubber,and a phosban reactor for filtering

daniella3d
05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
2 years with a blueberry gorgonian ???? well you're an exception then, do you have any pic of it?

over 21 carnations,3 seafans,1 blueberry.almost 2 years in my 220,4 years at another location.78-80 degrees.i feed rotifers once a day,3 types of live phyto once a day and a heavy brine shrimp feeding at night.it can be done.i use a bullet 2 skimmer,algae scrubber,and a phosban reactor for filtering

reefwars
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Well done:):)