PDA

View Full Version : Moving help and tips

Kgrizzle
05-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey guys I unfortunately have to move and I am going to by Moving my tank... What is he best way to go about Doing this?

I have a 29 gallon tank with 40lbs of live rock an anemone, torch coral, hammer coral, zoas glued to rock and some sitting on the sand, a chili, some acans. A bubble and a chalice. I also have 2 damsels I plan to sell for 10 bucks or give away and 2 clowns to which I plan to do the same with cause they aren't hosting my anemone. So my main consern would be the corals.

Also I plan to add more sand in the bottom do u think his will be an ok time to so?

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

fishytime
05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
have a few coolers or rubbermaid tubs ready....if you have a spare powerhead and heater for one or two of them, that is best.....do things as quickly as you can and have the tank be the only thing you move in that trip.....bag the corals if you can, this way if something happens to one of them, it doesnt effect all of them.....siphon as much water as you can carry into on of the coolers/bins and put the power head and heater in with your fish....float the corals in there until you are ready to roll.......siphon the rest of the water out into another cooler/bin (s) and put your rock in those (with a heater and powerhead if you can).....do not re-use the sand unless you plan on cleaning it thouroughly.....have some fresh salt/water made and ready just in case you either need to top off or need to do a large water change if something goes wrong....

ScubaSteve
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Moving a 29G will be a cinch. I've helped my friend (BlazingArrow) move his tank probably 9 times (not kidding).

We typically use buckets but big rubbermaids work well too. Siphon some water out of the tank into the bucket and put in a powerhead and heater while you're working. Start adding the rocks and corals, making sure the rocks aren't going to shift and destroy a prized reef denizen. Go slow, take your time and be methodical. Keep siphoning out more water as needed to keep the rocks covered. Try to keep as much of the old water as possible. Small buckets are great for any loose frags, sand dwelling corals, fish and CUC. Once you're almost down to the sand with the water and all the rocks are out, reach it and give that sand a big ol' swish around and marvel at the funky junk that comes out. Pour that water out. Add some DI water. Rinse. Repeat.

If you're going to add more sand, now is a good time to do so. Put the new sand UNDER the old sand (especially if you chose not to rinse the sand.

Have fun!

ashr
05-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I have a 66g and i moved everything last.. Last on the truck, first thing first. I had a ton of jugs and containers for my fish and coral/rock. Moved everything into these pales and jugs, moved tank. I used air stones for fish and my pumps for the corals when they were outside the tank. Take your time and you will be fine. a 29g will be easyyy!

good luck

Tom R
05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
About nine years ago I had to move my tanks a 180G and 125G.

It was in early January however I only moved about 20 mile between homes. I had absolutely no losses.

The most important think is a good plan and stick to it. The next most important thing is a couple of reef friends who know what to do as helpers.

All the previous points made are valid and worth considering.

I would take this opportunity to replace the sand however I would use 3 or 4 cups of the old dirty sand.

Tom R

BlueWorldAquatic
05-04-2012, 02:49 AM
have a few coolers or rubbermaid tubs ready....if you have a spare powerhead and heater for one or two of them, that is best.....do things as quickly as you can and have the tank be the only thing you move in that trip.....bag the corals if you can, this way if something happens to one of them, it doesnt effect all of them.....siphon as much water as you can carry into on of the coolers/bins and put the power head and heater in with your fish....float the corals in there until you are ready to roll.......siphon the rest of the water out into another cooler/bin (s) and put your rock in those (with a heater and powerhead if you can).....do not re-use the sand unless you plan on cleaning it thouroughly.....have some fresh salt/water made and ready just in case you either need to top off or need to do a large water change if something goes wrong....

well said.

also using something like stability or prodibio will help keep the bacterias in check

Snaz
05-04-2012, 02:59 AM
If the tank was drained down to the sand would it still be too heavy to move then to a sheet of plywood and then move to new home with sand in place? I did this with my 12 gallon twice with no losses. The only trick is not to disturb the sand bed while emptying or refilling.

fishytime
05-04-2012, 03:58 AM
If the tank was drained down to the sand would it still be too heavy to move then to a sheet of plywood and then move to new home with sand in place? I did this with my 12 gallon twice with no losses. The only trick is not to disturb the sand bed while emptying or refilling.

why risk it to save $20?....I only say this cuz I lost my whole tank due to moving a sandbed

Snaz
05-04-2012, 04:36 AM
why risk it to save $20?....I only say this cuz I lost my whole tank due to moving a sandbed

A fat sandbed full of anaerobic bacteria is worth a lot more than $20... some would say it is priceless.

When you moved yours was it disturbed? If any oxygen or oxygen rich water hits then yes it will take a nasty dive. I left just enough water in to cover the sand bed and made sure not to disturb it in any way.

fishytime
05-04-2012, 04:56 AM
A fat sandbed full of anaerobic bacteria is worth a lot more than $20... some would say it is priceless.

When you moved yours was it disturbed? If any oxygen or oxygen rich water hits then yes it will take a nasty dive. I left just enough water in to cover the sand bed and made sure not to disturb it in any way.

just the water moving back and forth when driving could be enough to disturb the sandbed.....I think moving a sandbed is like playing "Russian roulette" with your tank.....while you may be right about the fact that the beneficial life in a sandbed has some value, with a couple scoops of the old sandbed, a new sandbed will develop that same value with time.....my motto is "if it cant happen, then it wont happen":wink:

Nate
05-04-2012, 05:18 AM
I move fish tanks for a living, and leave the sandbed if it is a tank I maintain and know that the sandbed is cleaned regularly and lacks anaerobic areas. You always go through a mini cycle when moving a tank.

Kgrizzle
05-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks alot guys I was sorta on the right idea of what I thought to do... Sorry for the delayed respond just been busy packing n what not ... I hope I don't loose anything... Keep ur fingers crosses for me

Kgrizzle
06-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Move went well have had no losses yet... Only been 3 days but nothing seems phased... My
Bubble coral looks better than before actually and now my tank is in the living room so it looks even better than in
A basement out of sight