PDA

View Full Version : MP40w claims 3 lives in 2 days...!

dc4
05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
So, yesterday morning, I woke up to find my bannerfish stuck to the side of my mp40. I turned it off and it sank to the bottom of the tank but was still alive, I placed it in my sump to see if it would recover but no luck. Then this morning I find whats left of my sea hare and one of my banded pipefish stuck in the mp40! SOB! I fed what was left of the pipefish to my nem and pulled the remainder of the sea hare out, thank gawd I was already running carbon. I also dialed the mp40 down from 100% to 80% on reef mode in hopes that it will keep the sps happy without sucking everything else into it. Anyone have experience with using their foam guard on the pump?

Leon71
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
The foam gaurd does keep the fish out of the pumps, but it does get somewhat plugged pretty quick. I had to clean mine every 3-4 days. Don't use them anymore. Fingers crossed.

RuGlu6
05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Tunze has a ball shape and is much easier for fish and slugs to escape the suction.
Not same for free floating anemones though

dc4
05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
The foam gaurd does keep the fish out of the pumps, but it does get somewhat plugged pretty quick. I had to clean mine every 3-4 days. Don't use them anymore. Fingers crossed.

I wouldnt mind cleaning the pad if it will help save the livestock plus it may help filter some of the sand floating around from the sand sifters. I may pick a pack up at JL after work today.

dc4
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Tunze has a ball shape and is much easier for fish and slugs to escape the suction.
Not same for free floating anemones though

Lol, I would rather not change out the whole setup...

Stones
05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I found that the foam guards reduced the flow as well as plugged very rapidly. I lost 2 seahares to my mp40s as well after I got sick of the foam guards and removed them.

dc4
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I found that the foam guards reduced the flow as well as plugged very rapidly. I lost 2 seahares to my mp40s as well after I got sick of the foam guards and removed them.

Well, if I leave the pump at 80% without the foam, I hope that running at 100% with the foam will equal the same movement.

subman
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I have a hard time seeing a healthy bannerfish not being able to seperate itself ftom the powerhead. My guess is he was sick and this finished him.

Seahare's are always a possibility to become powerhead food.

And a pipefish has no place in a tank with anything but a nano powerhead at best. I would say no powerheads with pipes or ponies.

NU-2reef
05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
From my experience a healthy fish will have the strength to escape an mp40. Something is going on.....don't blame the mp40 quite yet.

dc4
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
The bannerfish was butting heads with the yellow tang for the first week but was fine after that however it always hung around the powerhead for some reason. It was only about 2" but it was eating like a pig and nothing seemed wrong with him as far as I could tell but its impossible to know for sure if there was anything internal.

Parker
05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your loses. While not a Vortech, I've lost several fish to my closed loop intakes over the past couple of years, it's pretty frustrating / sad.

tang daddy
05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
No problem with my mp40 and a seahare, although it's only at 50%.

Sorry to hear about the losses!

dc4
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
No problem with my mp40 and a seahare, although it's only at 50%.

Sorry to hear about the losses!

Is that the only flow you have going in your tank or do your return lines add a lot more flow for your sps? I may tune mine down even more if your sps is down ok with only 50% as I doubt my clams and bta like all that movement.

Bblinks
05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Doesn't matter for the sea hare, mine got stuck in between the 1mm spacing on my tunze pump. Friken retard! I said forget the sea hare and just get an abalone, much more intelligent creature. Sorry to hear about the other fishes but honestly the banner must be on its way out and pipe fish in a highflow tank just don't mix.

apexifd
05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Doesn't matter for the sea hare, mine got stuck in between the 1mm spacing on my tunze pump. Friken retard! I said forget the sea hare and just get an abalone, much more intelligent creature. Sorry to hear about the other fishes but honestly the banner must be on its way out and pipe fish in a highflow tank just don't mix.

and it's probably more delicious as well.

Reefie
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
and it's probably more delicious as well.

Rich's abalone has gotten to be a good size too...........

I'm using the foam guard on my MP-10, I bought the 3 pack at JL. So I just swap them out every few days while the other ones are being cleaned and dried.

I am guessing that was where my previous Seahare ended up, blended by MP-10. Yummy!

Bblinks
05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
If you continue on having issue with the mp40 I can dispose of it for you free of charge...:mrgreen:

Bblinks
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Rich's abalone has gotten to be a good size too...........

I'm using the foam guard on my MP-10, I bought the 3 pack at JL. So I just swap them out every few days while the other ones are being cleaned and dried.

I am guessing that was where my previous Seahare ended up, blended by MP-10. Yummy!

You guys better leave my over grown abalones alone. I know they are obeast but T and T has fatter ones.

dc4
05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I have an abalone in the tank somewhere, its been mia for about a month though... :confused:

Bblinks
05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
SORRY! He is a goner!

dc4
05-03-2012, 12:05 AM
SORRY! He is a goner!

Maybe my wife had a craving in the middle of the night... :razz:

Madmak
05-03-2012, 02:49 AM
While not a Vortech, I've lost several fish to my closed loop intakes over the past couple of years, it's pretty frustrating / sad.

I'm power-head-less and use a closed loop as well. I was worried about the suction as well from a ReeFlo Barracuda. I gutted a 2" foot valve and the fish eat the nori off of the huge strainer. My fingers stay crossed though.

dc4
05-03-2012, 03:43 AM
Bought a pencil wrasse to fill the gap the others left in the tank, hopefully he will play well with the others...

dc4
05-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Here's a pic of the latest wrasse:
http://img.tapatalk.com/1854b809-05a5-d3fc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk