PDA

View Full Version : New Addition- Mystery Wrasse

krisalexander
05-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I saw one at an LFS, thought about it, researched it, and then I saw someones tag line on here (Anthony) and went down and picked it up!

What a gorgeous fish, finished acclimating it about half hour ago and already out swimming around and checking the caves for its spot.

I did a lot of reading before getting this guy, but any thoughts, tips and comments are greatly appreciated!

Blue World Aquariums
05-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Very awesome fish...one of my favorites. Don't let it jump out!

fishytime
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
they are a beautiful fish.....known to jump, can be mean and mine had a taste for any shrimp added after he was in the tank (he was fine with the two shrimp that were in the tank before him)....

Proteus
05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I've been thinking of getting one but not sure how they are with clams
Any input

fishytime
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Mine never even sniffed at my clams(I had 13 clams at one point)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes, most wrasses are jumpers when spooked and some just have a death wish. Keep your tank covered.:wink:

krisalexander
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I was hoping not to put a cover on the tank as I don't like the look, in my reading it didnt mention jumping as a big concern but that's why I put the posting up! Thanks Anthony.

I will try and post a picture shortly.

Reefie
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
It is definitely a JUMPER, I had one in QT with an open top. Found it on the ground all dried up, so it must've jumped over night.

The 2nd one I had I lost to an Ammonia spike.

The 3rd and current one I have, which is still in QT, is doing great and LOVES Bristleworms. I pick them out from my fallow tank, and the first night I picked out a bunch of Bristleworms, he gorged himself on them. I thought his stomach was going to explode! Haha!

They're a great fish with great personality!

Bblinks
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
My mystery is the boss of all wrasses in my tank and I have a lot of wrasses. I think the mystery once established can be one of the most hardiest fish to take care of. Feed it well and it will never nip at your clams, but it can be nasty towards other wrasses specially if they are the same shape.

Love this fish.

Reefie
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Mine was beginning to be a bit of a bully as well, so I pulled him out of the 25 Gal QT, and threw into the 5 Gal QT to teach him a lesson. He will be the last Wrasse that I will re-introduce into my BC29.

My mystery is the boss of all wrasses in my tank and I have a lot of wrasses. I think the mystery once established can be one of the most hardiest fish to take care of. Feed it well and it will never nip at your clams, but it can be nasty towards other wrasses specially if they are the same shape.

Love this fish.

tim the toolman
05-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Mine was beginning to be a bit of a bully as well, so I pulled him out of the 25 Gal QT, and threw into the 5 Gal QT to teach him a lesson. He will be the last Wrasse that I will re-introduce into my BC29.

Isn't a 29g quite a bit small for a mystery? 50g min is what I read. Could be wrong

fishytime
05-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Isn't a 29g quite a bit small for a mystery? 50g min is what I read. Could be wrong

my first mystery wrasse got to be 5" long.....biggest one Ive seen....

fishoholic
05-03-2012, 02:29 AM

Yes a 29g is to small, 50g is even on the small side.