PDA

View Full Version : Biocube 29 nitrate issues

acepumping
05-02-2012, 04:21 AM
hey, i have a 29 biocube, with light on back of tank and all the right stuff for the tank. carbon floss, phosphate floss, rowa, etc, took out the bioballs because i heard they were garbage, i have a few rocks in the back middle chamber,i have the little skimmer that you can get with it, 2 small clowns, 1 blue hippo, 1 goby, 1 flame angel and 1 stupid damsel, all small size. and about 15 corals.. besides doin water changes how can i go about removing nitrates?? whats the best macro algae to suck up these things in the back, i have tried that cheatah stuff but somehow it just disappeared lol.

Mike-fish
05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
you have allot of fish in that tank! cheeto works good (needs light) keep all that floss you have clean as well that should solve some of the problem

Reefie
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I'd suggest getting a bigger skimmer with that bio-load, the Oceanic one is cr@p. Get the Tunze 9002 Nano DOC Skimmer if you can afford it, I will vouch that it is definitely worth the extra couple bucks. Put it in Chamber 2 with an inTank Media Basket running RowaPhos, Purigen, and filter floss to reduce Nitrates. You can move the LR into Chamber 1, I keep my heater in there also.

Also, I'd suggest doing weekly 15%-20% or maybe even up to 50% WC's to lower your Nitrates. It all depends on how much you have and want to reduce. I'd start with 20%-30% so as to not shock the system too much and **** off your corals.

Enigma
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Purigen gets my vote:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

I use it in both of my systems.