PDA

View Full Version : Who's been using HQI DE Bulbs here long term - results?

wayner
03-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Has anyone been using HQI - DE Bulbs here for awhile, would like to know what kinda of results your getting with your sps as far as color.

Could you please advise ballast (e-ballast, ice cap, geisseman, AB, etc),
Pendant (pfo, Sunlight Supply, etc.) and bulb ab, ushio, apparently, there's a new de bulb on the market by geisseman 13K which according to some users is very nice.

Thanks

Lofus
03-19-2004, 06:47 PM
I would be interested to know this as well. I've just installed 2 x 250W 10,000K Ushuios in Reef Optix III pendants run off a Bluewave VII dual ballast.

The colour is taking some getting used to since I was running NO's before in a FOWLR tank.

MitchM
03-19-2004, 11:38 PM
I guess I'm coming up on 5 years with my Aqualine/Busche Aquaspace light, which has 3 x 250w , and now have changed that for an Aquastarlight Future (2 x 250w) over my 72L x 30D x 22H tank.
I've been very happy with the lights, but because I have a preference for LPS and soft corals, I would go next time with 3 x 150w or their new 2 x 250w on the outside and 1 x 150w on the inside.
I've never tried the mogul base bulbs, but I can say that the SPS I do have have never faded.

Mitch

Acro
03-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I've been running the 250 de's for over 3 years. I have the pfo mini pendants(old version). I've been very happy with this set up. From my understanding the new pendants are better. I'm currently using Aqualine Buschke 10k's. Joshi and Marks have recently published some great info in regards to this very subject in the latest two issues of Advanced Aquarist.

trilinearmipmap
03-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Mitch,

Can I ask you some questions about your Aquastarlight Future pendant? I am looking at the pros and cons of an Aquastarlight versus a T5 "Tek-lite" pendant.

1. Do you have a 48" fixture over a 72" tank, if so, how well do the ends of the tank light up?

2. Are you bothered by a humming noise from the lights, I have read about this with Aquaspacelight fixtures, then I read the newer fixtures would have electronic ballasts with no noise.

3. Do you have problems with light bleeding over the edge of the tank?

4. Where did you get your Aquastarlight, can you PM me with a rough price, I have seen them for $599 U.S. but have not seen them in Canada.

Thanks.

Lofus
03-20-2004, 06:50 PM
I went with the pendants and a T5 actinic and built my own canopy. If I had to do it again, I would go with the Spacelight or starlight

MitchM
03-21-2004, 12:05 AM
1. Do you have a 48" fixture over a 72" tank, if so, how well do the ends of the tank light up?

2. Are you bothered by a humming noise from the lights, I have read about this with Aquaspacelight fixtures, then I read the newer fixtures would have electronic ballasts with no noise.

3. Do you have problems with light bleeding over the edge of the tank?

4. Where did you get your Aquastarlight, can you PM me with a rough price, I have seen them for $599 U.S. but have not seen them in Canada.

Thanks.

Yes, I have the 48" fixture over a 72" tank, and I'm very happy with the light coverage, but the 4' fixture is for a future 4' tank, and is taking the place of my spacelight that burnt up a few components. I'm going to be building a separate ballast for my 6' Spacelight and just using the casing, DE bulb mountings and reflectors.
For a dedicated SPS tank, I would recommend the 3 x 250w Spacelight for a 6' tank.

I've heard about the humming noise before, but my fixtures are silent. The small one hums a bit on start-up, actually.

I do think that the light "bleeds" too much from the Spacelight fixture, but my tank is maybe a bit higher than others...the top of the stand is about 37", the tank is 22" high and the fixture is about 12" above the open top.
When you're sitting on the couch, the light will shine in your eyes. I'm planning on building a nice wood (oak or mahagony) skirt to cover it a bit.
One nice thing about the 4' fixture is that it's only 8" wide, while the 6' fixture is 12" wide. The smaller fixture light stays pretty much 100% in the tank, at the same height, due to smaller reflectors.

I got both my fixtures from Wai's Aquarium here in Calgary, and I don't mind posting the price here...other people will probably want to know too...
The 6' Spacelight about 5 years ago was $3500, and I think that they've come down about $1000 since then, plus they have vents in the top of the new fixtures now to help dissipate heat.
The Aquastarlight Future I bought recently (with the moonlight in the middle) was about $2000, I think.

One word of caution ordering from the states, though...these fixtures come with very basic packaging, and it's easy for them to be damaged in shipping. Sometimes they don't even include the lights, and then you have to go through the hassle of getting them N/C afterwards.
My Spacelight originally came with 2 broken bulbs. (I was there when Danny opened it) and gave me a couple of good ones out of his own stock.
Aqualine/Aquamedic service leaves something to be desired, too. I tried to order a ballast from them a few years ago, and I had to explain what a schematic diagram was, and that I would like one in order to diagnose a problem that I thought was a ballast.
I never did get one, and had to hire an electrician to help out.... :confused:

In the end, great bulbs, great light quality, nice looking fixture, but when the guts burn out, I'm going to replace them with locally available parts.

HTH,
Mitch :smile:

trilinearmipmap
03-21-2004, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply to my questions, that helps quite a bit.