PDA

View Full Version : HELP TO ID FISH PLEASE!

Harpo
05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/b897dea6-8aa8-9454.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b897dea6-8abe-c6a6.jpg Hi Everyone!

So, I bought a fish on the spur of the moment to get rid of some access plants in my tank. He is doing an awsome job...problem is, because I bought him on a WHIM I totally forgot what kind of fish he/she is. Some type of TANG?

I would like to get it's aquatic name so I can research it more and find out about said mystery fish. Sorry pictures are not great but he/she is really really shy!

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

fishytime
05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
looks like a wee tiny unicorn tang of some sort....hope you got a big tank:wink:

TimT
05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Definitely a Naso, possibly a Blue Spine or a Unicorn.

Harpo
05-02-2012, 01:33 AM
OK....BAD MOVE ME... BAD MOVE...

Now, Do these tangs grow fast? I need it's services but not its side. Any recomendations for a fish that will do the same but will be 28 gal. compatable?

The current tang in question... how hard are they to re-sell?

Thanks,
Harpo

ElGuappo
05-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree with fishytime. Small unicorn tang. And i dont imagine you having a hard time selling as long as you dont expect to retail for it.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk.

Nano
05-02-2012, 01:47 AM
.... Any recomendations for a fish that will do the same but will be 28 gal. compatable?....

Not a tang especially in that size tank, what do you mean do the same thing? what is it doing that you need? lol

Harpo
05-02-2012, 01:53 AM
I had alot of plant life in my tank i wanted gone. It sure cleaned it up in 1 week! One more week and I think i will have a handle on it!

Not a tang especially in that size tank, what do you mean do the same thing? what is it doing that you need? lol

Nano
05-02-2012, 01:55 AM
ahh I see, did you think of "renting" a lawnmower blenny?

Harpo
05-02-2012, 01:58 AM
How long before I should I wait until I get rid of my Unicorn Tang? They grow fast? I don't want to hurt him/her.

What would be an acceptable price?

Thanks,
harpo

Harpo
05-02-2012, 02:00 AM
I never did. I have a fairly new tank (6.5 months) so i don't want to risk hurting someones blenny. I was advised by my LFS that the tang I got would be ok for a year in my tank. True??.... unknown! lol!

ahh I see, did you think of "renting" a lawnmower blenny?

fishoholic
05-02-2012, 02:50 AM
I never did. I have a fairly new tank (6.5 months) so i don't want to risk hurting someones blenny. I was advised by my LFS that the tang I got would be ok for a year in my tank. True??.... unknown! lol!

Definitely not, in a year they can grow 6 inches or more. I would post him up for sale ASAP

Buy a lawnmower bleeny to help with your algae issues.

noirsphynx
05-02-2012, 03:03 AM
Definitely not, in a year they can grow 6 inches or more. I would post him up for sale ASAP

Buy a lawnmower bleeny to help with your algae issues.

+1, even at a small size I'm sure a unicorn tang would need more swimming room than a 28g.
It sure is a cute little thing, I love the personality of unicorn's.

fish_gal
05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I might be in the same position. My tank is only a 65 galon and I also have a tang. What will happen if I don't move it to a larger tank?:confused:

George
05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I might be in the same position. My tank is only a 65 galon and I also have a tang. What will happen if I don't move it to a larger tank?:confused:

What kind of tang do you have and how big is it?
Tangs in a small tank may cause some serious issues. Every fish needs certain space as their territory. Tangs need a bigger territory than most other reef fish. If you keep them in a small tank, they may get aggressive toward their tank mates.
Tangs also like to swim. Not back and forth but in a straight line, fast. If you don't provide enough swimming room, you may not have a healthy tang down the road.
Tangs like to eat constantly. They have a shorter digest system therefore they produce a lot of waste which puts a lot of burden on a small tank.
All of the above will further stress your tangs. A stress fish will have lower immune system. I wonder if this has something to do with the perception of tangs are ich magnet because many people keep tangs in small tanks. I also notice a lot of tangs have HLLE in aquariums. Not sure any of the above has anything to do with it.
And finnaly it is probably just me. But I have a problem with how a big fish looks in a small tank, not tangs but any fish in general. It just looks cramp for a big fish in a small tank. In my 180 gal, I try to keep only fish that grow to 12" or less.

fish_gal
05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a sail fin tang. My tank is 3' long and the fish itself I've only had for about 4 months, so it still is not to big yet.

George
05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
sailfin can grow to quite big. if you are determined to keep a tang, a kole or tomini might be more suitable for your tank.

Flash
05-02-2012, 10:41 PM
tangs are really not good for any tank under 4' long.... it causes stress, which causes ick.. which can potentally wipe out your entire live stock. there are snails and inverts that can help with algae blooms. Tangs need a large swimming space which is why almost any book or caresheet will tell you 180gl with some exceptions to yellow/purple/kole and scopas tangs which can do okay in a 65-75 gl tank!

Enigma
05-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Being that you're in my neck of the woods . . . can you PM me what store this was?

Thx :)

Harpo
05-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah he/she is full of attitude and spunk! It is cute!

+1, even at a small size I'm sure a unicorn tang would need more swimming room than a 28g.
It sure is a cute little thing, I love the personality of unicorn's.

Harpo
05-03-2012, 01:55 AM
pm has been sent!

Cheers!

Being that you're in my neck of the woods . . . can you PM me what store this was?

Thx :)

mytank90
05-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I

mytank90
05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab84/mytank90/Picture151.jpg

Harpo
05-04-2012, 01:22 AM
So, The fish has been Named "Lady Amouthia" from the movie "The Last Unicorn". Thought it was fitting for my situation and the size of my tank.

Thank you all for your help and some very valuable tips and information!

Reefers rock!

Thanks!

Harpo:biggrin:

fish_gal
05-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Sorry for tagging along on your thread.
Thanks for all the advice regarding tangs.
I will be posting mine for sale tomorrow and hope to find it a new more appropriate home on the weekend

:cry:

Harpo
05-04-2012, 03:03 AM
No prob! Its help 1 help all on this site! Never feel bad about hijjacking a thread and chime in! I find that Canreefers will help with anything they can! Love this site!
Cheers!

Sorry for tagging along on your thread.
Thanks for all the advice regarding tangs.
I will be posting mine for sale tomorrow and hope to find it a new more appropriate home on the weekend

:cry: