PDA

View Full Version : LED advice

mikeclarke
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi there,

I have a 72x18x18 tank that I am setting up and I want to go LED. I don't have the money for "ferrari" light but want and good solid Honda. Can anyone recommend what to look for and what experience they have had? I will start our fish only but once my tank matures, I will want to get into corals. Currently I have a 20gal fish only tank that will get to stretch out in the big tank over the next few months. There are features like storms and lightning that are cool for sure but really isn't something I'd pay extra for now since I am basically buying everything for this new tank.

I've seen some threads about the EVO leds and it seems like there are a lot of differing opinions.

Any advice would be great.

Mike

troni
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
check out modular led

badAZZlars
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
For that size of tank you would be well served with 3 AI sols or one of the new Sunbrite F-Series fixtures. Jury is still out on the new Sunbrite fixtures as they are brand new and nobody really has experience with them but the specs look good. I should be receiving my pre-ordered unit next week and will probably do a small review on it after a few weeks of use.

mseepman
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I too would be looking at either Modular LED for a simple DIY or the new Sunbrite. Their longer fixtures are still pretty reasonable or "Honda Like". :)

ponokareefer
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Are you only wanting a fixture, or would you consider a DIY setup?

Nano
05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
.......I've seen some threads about the EVO leds and it seems like there are a lot of differing opinions.....

I personally would stay away from anything with out a proven track record, they look like a cheap knock off of the marineland fixtures which are no good to begin with (IMO)
If your budget is on the tighter side, I would look into DIY through modularled. there are lots of great DIY led companies, but Martin
shines through the rest.

If you dont go through modular led, try rapid or any of the other companies available in the usa (but try to support your locals) ;)

mikeclarke
05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I've never done a DIY deal so I kind of was looking for a fixture but if they are easy to do I am sure I could figure it out.

Apparently the Sunbrite LEDs are in Canada now so they might be a good option once people have given their opinions. I saw this post on reefcentral....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153456

Otardifus
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
My Kessil 34w pendant lights are like a honda they have less options and are less expensive but they still do an exccelent job.
The shimmer effect they create is stunning.
The corals I have love them ( sps, lps, softies )
they leave the top of the tank open for top viewing.

I love them but have only hade them for 2 weeks now so I cant say for shure that the corals will thrive but others say they do.

What ever you do have fun with it and get what you want you might have an led fixture for a verry long time.

Bblinks
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
3 AI's for starters will be good or you can wait till the new vega's come out. Sunbrite led combo looks to be another contender as it incorporate a "fuller spectrum" with green and red and it is well priced. I don't mind DIY kits and Modularled sure makes it easy with the solderless connections but you are limited to controllability.

Reef Supplies
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Please have a look at our Sunbrite LED by licking my banner. Our 72" will fit your needs perfectly. The only problem is we have 1 or 2 left that are not presold.

Ray

Snaz
05-01-2012, 07:00 PM
DIY.
If you can use a soldering iron you can get exactly what you want at less than half the price. You can get complete kits where all that is needed is for you to put it together:
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/

mikeclarke
05-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the advice all. I live in Fernie, BC so I have no LFS so I will be buying based on peoples recommendations without seeing the lights. I will end up ordering online. How much is this going to run me? The Sunbrites are $1500. Will the other options discussed come out to be similar to achieve a full light?

I do like the look of a fixture like the Sunbrites. I also will have to see what the Mrs prefers the look of (since it is in the living room) and how much she is going to let me spend! :wink: