PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question

habs247
05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Putting it to the folks in the know. Plumbing my new tank, laying out the pvc in some logical order and trying to set up a herbie overflow.

The orientation of my sump makes it really easy to make the primary drain just drop straight down into the sump. I'm guessing that's ok? I've read other posts where people recommend slowing down the water with 90 deg bends but those weren't herbie setups. Am I ok just dropping straight down into sump given that I'll be using a siphon?

Thanks in advance.

gregzz4
05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Sometimes you have to try it before you get it just right
I run my drain about 1" below the sump waterline, but mine's not a straight shot as the sump is in a different room.
You could plumb most of it but leave some unglued and test it.

The Grizz
05-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I take my drain to within 3" of the bottom of my sump but drill a bunch of 1/2" hole around the pipe & all the way down to allow any air to escape causing the water to splash less. As well a gate or ball valve is reccomeded on the main drain to control the flow level.

daplatapus
05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
+1 on the gate valve. With a gate valve on there it won't matter if you go straight in because you'll be able to manually adjust the flow anyway. If I can make one suggestion from my own experience, save your self a lot of grief and don't try the ball valve, go with a gate valve. If you can't find one in Calgary, J&L has them. Some people get lucky and can balance their herbie with a ball valve but it would seem they are far in the minority and I personally would chalk it down to pure luck. I fiddled with mine unsuccessfully for over a month, switched to a gate valve and had it within a couple hours.

habs247
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks you guys. I'll give a shot tonight.

fishytime
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
a gate valve is a must......your primary (with the gate valve) drain should be plumbed below the water line in the sump......your emergency should be plumbed so that it stops just above the water line in the sump (so you can hear it if primary gets clogged or needs adjusting.....there are a few pics on the first couple pages of my tank journal if you want to have a look... http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40669

habs247
05-02-2012, 04:56 AM
a gate valve is a must......your primary (with the gate valve) drain should be plumbed below the water line in the sump......your emergency should be plumbed so that it stops just above the water line in the sump (so you can hear it if primary gets clogged or needs adjusting.....there are a few pics on the first couple pages of my tank journal if you want to have a look... http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40669

Thanks FT. The pictures of your setup are a help. Also a reminder of how much more work I have to go...