PDA

View Full Version : Radion lightening storm

Coralgurl
04-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Got a light show going on in my tank right now. Freaked me out to see flashes coming from the fish room, run over thinking something's wrong and I've got lightening. Kinda cool!

Delphinus
04-30-2012, 05:04 AM
I went to a store once to look at some clams they just got in and the tank they were in had a lightning storm. I, um .. rather hated the effect. :lol: (Sorrrrrry I'm just sayin' :p ). Here I was trying to look at the clams top-down and the Radion was giving me a headache. Just as soon as I thought it stopped, it started up again.

Question, isn't this something you would have to decide to turn on? Did you know you had this mode setting? Or does it literally decide on its own to do this and you have no say when and how often?

Seriak
04-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I went to a store once to look at some clams they just got in and the tank they were in had a lightning storm. I, um .. rather hated the effect. :lol: (Sorrrrrry I'm just sayin' :p ). Here I was trying to look at the clams top-down and the Radion was giving me a headache. Just as soon as I thought it stopped, it started up again.

Question, isn't this something you would have to decide to turn on? Did you know you had this mode setting? Or does it literally decide on its own to do this and you have no say when and how often?

Every point on the chart when you program the light can have a 0-100% chance of a lightning storm and/or cloud cover. You can also start it manually. I initially left it on at 10% but have decided to remove it as it just scares the crap out of my fish and does nothing for any of my corals.

Coralgurl
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I programmed the storms a few weeks ago and last night was the first time I saw one. Funny thing though is I set the likelihood of a storm at 7 pm, this was happening at 11 pm. I didn't notice my fish acting different, but now that I've seen it, will remove it from the programming. Don't see any benefit for the livestock.

Nano
04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
+1 I also can't imagine powering the LEDs from 0-100% over and over so quickly does much for their longevity

reefgirl189
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I programmed ours for 0% chance of storms. I hate storms in real life, I'm certainly not going to simulate them in my living room :)

subman
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
+1 I also can't imagine powering the LEDs from 0-100% over and over so quickly does much for their longevity
Ive used the profilux stimu led bar for a couple years with a storm everynight (by accident) and no ill effects at all. Most camera flashes are leds now (especially cell phone cameras) thats what they do.
I programmed ours for 0% chance of storms. I hate storms in real life, I'm certainly not going to simulate them in my living room :)

I love real storms, so I have my radions storming once a week and was planning out a system to rain during the storm for the added effect.

I read that some fish need the storm season to get them to spawn. I haven't researched it much as I have no plans for breading. Just pointing out a potential benefit of it.

Oilers
04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
You can set it manually so I only use it whenever I feel like showing off to my guests :mrgreen: Other than that, I don't use that feature. I think it's annoying :biggrin:

jorjef
04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
You can set it manually so I only use it whenever I feel like showing off to my guests :mrgreen: Other than that, I don't use that feature. I think it's annoying :biggrin:

+1 for me the novelty wore off after about 5 seconds.

Reef Pilot
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
I set mine back down to 10% after watching one episode that went on for about 20 min. My fish were definitely a little skittish. They don't seem to mind the cloud episodes, but don't think they like the lightning.

Coralgurl
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I love real storms as well. It was weird seeing the flashing with no noise (thunder). I clicked on the feature to have my powerheads connected to the lights, but I didn't see any difference in the flow of the tank during the storm. It only lasted about 10 mins and was done.