PDA

View Full Version : Using base rock

canadianbudz604
04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I got a 20g and I want to set it up as a nano. How much base rock would is need for it and how much actual live rock? Also is there anything different I need to do while it's cycling? Also is there specific ways it needs to b placed with the live rock?

Aquattro
04-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Why use base? On such a small tank, you aren't saving a lot. I'd buy 10 pounds of live and just use that.

canadianbudz604
04-30-2012, 12:23 AM
I was wanting to have a pound per gallon, but it's not the $ I'm trying save it's the pests and things Like that

Aquattro
04-30-2012, 01:13 AM
IMO, the benefit of using real rock outweighs any risk of pests.

sphelps
04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
You can use 100% base rock if you'd like. It'll take longer to fully establish but realistically there isn't really a difference. Just use a quality base rock though, some of the more common stuff is pretty dense and could be a disadvantage in that sense.

Aquattro
04-30-2012, 01:23 AM
realistically there isn't really a difference.

Of course there's a difference. Live rock is full of critters and bacteria that you're just not going to get in dry rock.
Obviously to each their own, but IMO, quality live rock is the foundation of a quality reef.

sphelps
04-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Of course there's a difference. Live rock is full of critters and bacteria that you're just not going to get in dry rock.
Obviously to each their own, but IMO, quality live rock is the foundation of a quality reef.

Critters? Like what and for what purpose? Bacteria and zooplankton are easily introduced, typically on there own.

NU-2reef
04-30-2012, 01:42 AM
If you use part base rock and part live you can still expect to see pests. For example I used all dry rock for my new tank and only 5lbs of live rock from a trusted lfs. I set the rock in the tank and continued to let it cure with live rock for several months, 5 to be exact. One morning I turn the lights on and aiptasia everywhere! On my glass sand and rocks. Great, I'm screwed!....Nah,peppermint shrimp killed em all in one night.

Lesson learned. Go all dry rock and get a bit of live sand from a reefer friend you trust. The rest is patience.

Madmak
04-30-2012, 02:04 AM
I just set up a tank with about half and half, 150 lbs of each. IMO a nano deserves the best live rock you can find.

I don't really consider anything a pest and am amazed with what live rock carries. I spend as much time looking at the little free creatures as I do the $200 fish. I'm with Aquattro and believe the higher the diversity, the better the reef is.

sphelps
04-30-2012, 03:10 AM
I guess to me a reef tank is more based on whats on the rock in terms of coral. My goal is always to cover up the rock with as much of it as possible, to me that's what defines a successful reef tank. I don't believe that extra diversity serves any purpose except to give newbs something to take a picture of and post asking what it is :surprise:

My first two salt tanks had zero "live rock" and they did just fine. To say live rock is required or essential is just false information.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/Fishtank064.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/FTS/DSC_1709.jpg

FitoPharmer
04-30-2012, 04:53 AM
If you expect a base rock only tank to say pest free you must quarantine all your corals for at least 1-2 months. Otherwise you will eventually get a frag or coral from someone or somewhere that has a pest and all your attempts to keep the tank pest free will be in vein.