PDA

View Full Version : why do heaters always fail in the "on" position?

christyf5
04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I mean come on! I don't know how many bloody heaters I've had die on me over the years and every single time they cook the tank. Came downstairs to my nano at 89.7F. Friggin ridiculous!!

Megalodon
04-29-2012, 05:32 PM
What brand?

christyf5
04-29-2012, 05:34 PM
What brand?

oh this is some crap brand probably, I don't even think it says on it. It just says Thermo Compact Pre-Set. Its a 50watter so I was kind of limited by what I could find for a nano around here.

bauder1986
04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
oh this is some crap brand probably, I don't even think it says on it. It just says Thermo Compact Pre-Set. Its a 50watter so I was kind of limited by what I could find for a nano around here.

Those pre-set temp heaters are dangerous. Had one a while back that cooked my tank and killed off half of what i had.

christyf5
04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Those pre-set temp heaters are dangerous. Had one a while back that cooked my tank and killed off half of what i had.

this one is no different from any of the other heaters I have, are there some that aren't pre-set (that don't cost a fortune because they have their own fancy external controller)? All of mine you dial to wherever you want it and it heats to that temperature (or close to it anyways).

fencer
04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
most heaters are regulated by a bimetallic strip which basically will fail with time. They are not seleniod switches which open on fail. Your best choice ia a Thermocouple and controller. You can program in failsafes

Cade
04-29-2012, 07:19 PM
That sucks, is everything ok?
:neutral:

What brand?

Nice avatar! lol

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Sorry Christy but it's called Murphy's Law.

Tom R
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Christy

why do heaters always fail in the "on" position?

And while your asking

Why does a stapler always run out of staples right when you need one?

The best way to fail safe a heater system is to use a controller to monitor the temperature and attach all your heaters (cheap or expensive) set to a temperature that is well above that set in the controller. The controller will shut off the electricity to the heater once the controlled heat level has been achieved.

Tom R

ScubaSteve
04-29-2012, 08:45 PM
To answer your question... The bimetallic strip activates the switch into the ON position and as it switches over there is often a small arc between the two contacts when they're only a short distance apart. Sometimes this arc can actually cause the contacts to weld together, thus leaving you with a heater that is permanently on. This usually happens as the bimetallic strip begins to fail and the switch switches over slowly or the contacts become worn with age.

daniella3d
04-30-2012, 04:11 AM
since you're so badlucky with heaters, maybe it's time to buy a contrôler and let it handle the heating????

I never had a heater do that but I use a contrôler so it cannot do it.

I mean come on! I don't know how many bloody heaters I've had die on me over the years and every single time they cook the tank. Came downstairs to my nano at 89.7F. Friggin ridiculous!!

gregzz4
04-30-2012, 04:24 AM
Came downstairs to my nano at 89.7F
This little guy (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/mc-bdalt/Lifegard+Aquatics+Lifegard+Big+Digital+Alert+Therm ometer.html) saved my downstairs 36g twice. I could hear it beeping from upstairs.
Once was during a heat wave, so I bought a chiller.
Next time it went off was when the chiller stuck on and the heater couldn't keep up. Stupid chiller :mrgreen:

This isn't first heater you've lost this year, correct ?

toytech
04-30-2012, 05:22 AM
this is why i bought a reefkeeper lite last week , ive had fish soup before and ill never have it again .A 120$ controller is worth way less than a full tank getting fried.