PDA

View Full Version : Lf an Octopus anyone know were i can find one?

octopus-keeper
04-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Im looking for a small or medium octopus around the size of a golf ball maybe a little smaller to a little larger. Not to big not to small, Only looking for the common brown octopus from Bali, or the two spotted bimac octopus from California plz and thx for the help :biggrin:

troni
04-29-2012, 07:02 AM
I remember reading about someone on albertaaquatic.com having one last year I think.

Jeff000
04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
I have to ask, how much is an octopus? And what kind of tank do they need?

RDNanoGuy
04-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Most good LFS will order you one at your own risk. They don't take shipping well and could be DOA.

As for a tank they need a species only tank with a very tight lid. They are amazing escape artists.

Proteus
04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Also need to be mentally stimulated. They can die of boredom

Davidbugera
04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Iv had three of them and escape good artist dot not come close it more like amazing escapers. I thot my tank was air tight like a tobaco tin and still they got out and would climb over to my others tanks and would kill off shrimp crabs snails never any fish but the whole cleaner crew woul go missing lol. Heard of this happing but didn't believe it till I seen it

Jeff000
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
How do you keep them entertained? How big a tank?

Iv had three of them and escape good artist dot not come close it more like amazing escapers. I thot my tank was air tight like a tobaco tin and still they got out and would climb over to my others tanks and would kill off shrimp crabs snails never any fish but the whole cleaner crew woul go missing lol. Heard of this happing but didn't believe it till I seen it

Amazing.

I want one.

Blink
04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Gold's in Calgary has ordered them in, IIRC, remember reading a bunch of posts about it on Alberta aquatica. I realize it'd be a hell of a long haul from grande prairie though, so perhaps one of the Edmonton places can bring em in? I've never really thought to ask but I'd suspect aquarium illusions or marine aquatica wouldn't have too much trouble getting them in based on my (limited) previous experience with both places.

Octopus seem awesome but sound like a huge pain in the arse at the same time.

marie
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
They have a short natural life span too

reefwars
04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
ken at blueworld can get you one if you ask him nicely:P

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
They will also spend most of their time hiding. Mine used to come out when I put in a "decontaminated" shore crab for it to hunt and eat. Otherwise it would go from hiding spot to hiding spot and we'd rarely ever see it. I got mine fairly small, since as Marie stated, they have a short natural lifespan (1 year I believe for the ones we get). Around here, King Ed's and J&L get them in occasionally. I would imagine the LFS near you can special order them in as well.

I used to go to the beach, collect a few crabs and keep them in some clean water for a week or more to "decontaminate" them a little bit and feed them bits of seafood before dropping one into the octo tank at a time. Their hunting behaviour is quite interesting I must say. I used a metal and fibre-glass screen top like they use for reptiles. Sprayed with rust-proof paint and washed thoroughly. Then I added several large rocks to hold it down in place that were too heavy for the octopus to lift to escape.

Good luck and I hope you have a species tank for it and have a ready supply of live food.

Anthony

Davidbugera
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
U keep them entertains but making them hunt for food like putting shrimp I a kinder surprise egg or a jar with a lid.clam that they have to peel open thing like that but they are supper smart and remember thing like this so u always have to change up the way u feed them. I would feed mine silver side buy hand and play tug a war make him fight for food he seem to really like this method of feeding

Davidbugera
04-29-2012, 10:08 PM
My second one lived for 18 months then I introduced a new baby and my old one got by the young one. Awesome fight to get on video even got to see one ink. Super neat to see

Proteus
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Do u have video of said fight

Davidbugera
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I have a leg being ripped off a bit of rollin around tenticles going threw the orhers sack and the inking on video. Gladly email it to u if u wana watch it it actualy like 2-3 vids but it's all there lol

Proteus
04-29-2012, 11:02 PM
That be sweet

nckjeffery@gmail.com

dunl
04-29-2012, 11:52 PM
"steady supply of live food"....how about seagulls?

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2012/04/27/who%E2%80%99s_up_for_lunch_a_gull_eating_octopus_i n_victoria_bc

Davidbugera
04-30-2012, 12:30 AM
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o603/davidbugera/5350e059.mp4

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o603/davidbugera/5c869cc5.mp4

Best I could do had trouble emailing there is one more But its 20 second of aggression and 5 minutes of roof lol

Proteus
04-30-2012, 12:49 AM
thats crazy. but why did you let it happen. would it be possible for the old one to be saved

Davidbugera
04-30-2012, 01:22 AM
I guess I could have but I figured his life was long live at 17-18 months old he was lucky to lived that long and I got to watch the best fight ever lol

Proteus
04-30-2012, 02:28 AM
I guess I could have but I figured his life was long live at 17-18 months old he was lucky to lived that long and I got to watch the best fight ever lol

I guess there short lived and I spose it one of the most natural ways to go

LoveReefing
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Big Al's in Calgary had a small "Mimic Octo" when I was there on Saturday.

Harpo
05-08-2012, 12:59 AM
+1 saw it there too!

Big Al's in Calgary had a small "Mimic Octo" when I was there on Saturday.

ashr
05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I would also love to do this.. One day..