PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algae

Cal_stir
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
How do you deal with green bubble algae?

subman jr.
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Emerald crab:biggrin:

Cal_stir
04-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Had a couple but they didn't seem to eat it, I'm gonna try another but was wondering if there was anything else I could do.

Mandosh
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
manual removal - rigid piece to tubing attached to the end of flexible siphon hose is what I've found to work best.

wayner
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Not sure how big your tank is but you could try a Rabbitfish, Emeralds didn't work for me either, since i added a rabbitfish, there is a definate decline in the bubble algae, I no longer have to harvest it every 2 weeks.

I don't think it matters what rabbitfish, they all eat algae, small foxface might work., I went with the 2 barred rabbitfish, I've seen him eating it, if you go this route, remove as much as you can manually before you add the fish.

Good Luck!

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=685911732&ts=custom&w=rabbitfish&af=cat1:marinefish&isort=score&method=and&ts=results (http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=685911732&ts=custom&w=rabbitfish&af=cat1:marinefish&isort=score&method=and&ts=results)

Cal_stir
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the replies

coolhandgoose
04-28-2012, 12:07 AM
My yellow tang demolished it along with red bubbles and other nuisance algae.

reefgirl189
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Guess I'm lucky but I don't get any anymore. When I first started up the tank I had a few that I removed manually and they never came back.

Cal_stir
04-28-2012, 02:01 AM
My yellow tang demolished it along with red bubbles and other nuisance algae.

My tellow tang doesn't touch them, loves the algae we scrape off the glass though.

Cal_stir
04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Guess I'm lucky but I don't get any anymore. When I first started up the tank I had a few that I removed manually and they never came back.
I'm going to try the siphon with the rigid tube, sounds like it might be the best way to remove it.

Lance
04-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Emerald crabs and rabbitfish seem to be hit & miss. I had one Foxface that gobbled it up while another one I had wouldn't touch it. IMO, manual removal works as good as any method, just be sure to pry them loose and siphon without bursting them.

reptile guy
04-28-2012, 04:22 AM
Depending on your tank size I've found very few Naso's who won't eat it. Any in the family will usually clear it all right out in little time. They actually seem to like it quite a bit. Sometimes really small ones don't seem to but by 4 inches they mow it down lol. Seen foxface, Scopas etc eat it also but with more mixed results

emerald crab
04-28-2012, 04:39 AM
I learned to live with them.:(. My foxface eats one now and then, but doesn't make a dent in the population. I do more with a piece of rigid tubing cut at an angle, attached at the end of my siphon hose.

reptile guy
04-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Naso's that eat them will eat every last one they have access too lol like you never had any to begin with. Unicorns also but too bad there too big for most peoples tanks

I learned to live with them.:(. My foxface eats one now and then, but doesn't make a dent in the population. I do more with a piece of rigid tubing cut at an angle, attached at the end of my siphon hose.