PDA

View Full Version : Cooking rocks

coolhandgoose
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Disclaimer, this thread is not about crack :mrgreen:

I'm currently cooking rocks to get rid of massive GHA and aptasia, it's in a Rubbermaid with a power head and the lid on. It's been in cooking for about a week, I just checked the phosphate level two days after doing a complete water change and it's already at 1.35.

How often should I do a water change while cooking? I was thinking once a week.

Nano
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I believe Myka has a thread in regards to cooking and curing LR might be worth a read

MaxwellSilver
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I have been looking it up and from what I have seen, cooking does not get rid of aptasia and mojano. Can anybody confirm?

coolhandgoose
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I believe Myka has a thread in regards to cooking and curing LR might be worth a read

Found it thanks, he says once a week until all tests are 0

As far as aptasia goes I've heard people have had success cooking them out.

letsgofishin
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
it didn't work for me, but peppermint shrimp and berghia nudibranches seem to be working really well for the aiptasia

gregzz4
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Found it thanks, he says once a week until all tests are 0

As far as aptasia goes I've heard people have had success cooking them out.
Myka is a She :razz:

I've been cooking my rock since Feb 2nd and the one Aptasia I can't get at is still there. I'm going to have to leave the lid off for a day and then go after it

coolhandgoose
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Are you cooking it in a Rubbermaid so it's pitch black?

And my apologies to myka. :lol:

gregzz4
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Yup, covered rubbermaid. I trimmed a little off the lid lip for the power cords.

I mentioned taking the lid off for a day. If you aren't aware - going after Aptasia in the dark causes them to throw babies

coolhandgoose
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Lovely, may have to resort to pep shrimps after the cooking process to take care of them.

gregzz4
04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
If you can use a pipette to squirt lemon juice on them, try that and then it's recommended to cover them after with some reef epoxy.
There are youtube vids if you wanna try it.
I did it over a month ago on one and got lucky. It didn't spawn and I never covered it up 'cause it was buried in a hole.
Actually, it was Feb 10th, so I know it worked as there aren't any new ones to see.

coolhandgoose
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
I've zapped them before with using a needle and lemon juice, I'll have to try the reef epoxy though, that's a good idea.

ScubaSteve
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Lovely, may have to resort to pep shrimps after the cooking process to take care of them.

You'll probably be more successful with Berghia

Rogue951
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
since you`re cooking them, consider dipping each rock (rotating sched to keep the bacteria alive) in Hydrogen peroxide?
I've used it with good success on hair and bubble algae.
Even in the tank on DENSE mats of hair algae, with the pumps off the peroxide actually pooled in the mat of algae and did it's thing and killed it. ****ed off the corals some but they recovered.
Don't ask me for the specific dosing cause I'm one of those toss some in randomly types but it DOES work.