PDA

View Full Version : HOB Skimmer Help Needed

LeanneP
04-26-2012, 05:56 PM
I have an instant ocean protein skimmer that suddenly stopped bubbling. I am leaving for holidays Sat so I am a little stressed. I have cleaned the impeller, and changed the Venturi and adjusted it but it is still not working after 2 days. The impeller is still pumping water through the system but it is not bubbling enough to skim. I called instant ocean but they had no suggestions. I called all the pet stores but no one carries the impeller to replace it. Any suggestions? I am not too excited about spending another $250 bucks for a new one.

Leanne

Reef Supplies
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Seems to not be sucking air (apart from sucking in general.....sorry hehe). Try to blow through the air line, it's most probably blocked.

good luck,

Ray

P.S.

<shameless plug>

You can get the BM hang-on for under $190, http://www.reefsupplies.ca/canada/bubble-magus-bm-nac5e-hang-on/

</shameless plug>

LeanneP
04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure which line you are talking about as I changed the venturi already. I need the new skimmer tomorrow before I go on holidays so 5 days won't cut it for delivery. Thanks for the info though.
Leanne

RuGlu6
04-27-2012, 12:18 AM
If impleler has no damage you do not need to replace it. The air line that goes to the ventury might be plugged with salt deposits happens all the time to ventury skimmers.
Get that air line line soaked in vinegar or water (vinegar is best it will dissolve all the calcified deposits in 24 hrs) and clean that air line by blowing in to it.
All it is is some debris stuck in there that you need to get rid of.

Or there is a crack in that air line under water serfice and it sucks water instead of the air. In that case replace the air intake line. (larger diameter air intake line is better it will allow more air in and will get plugged slower)

HTH.

Reef Supplies
04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure which line you are talking about as I changed the venturi already. I need the new skimmer tomorrow before I go on holidays so 5 days won't cut it for delivery. Thanks for the info though.
Leanne

If impleler has no damage you do not need to replace it. The air line that goes to the ventury might be plugged with salt deposits happens all the time to ventury skimmers.
Get that air line line soaked in vinegar or water (vinegar is best it will dissolve all the calcified deposits in 24 hrs) and clean that air line by blowing in to it.
All it is is some debris stuck in there that you need to get rid of.

Or there is a crack in that air line under water serfice and it sucks water instead of the air. In that case replace the air intake line. (larger diameter air intake line is better it will allow more air in and will get plugged slower)

HTH.

we are referring the air line that sucks air into the pump, every skimmer has an air inlet. If you can locate that you will most likely solve your problem.

good luck

LeanneP
04-27-2012, 03:32 AM
I've actually replaced the line and the venturi and checked to see if anything was plugged. No such luck. I think it has had the biscuit.
Thanks for the suggestions though.
Leanne

RuGlu6
05-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Could you have ventury installed backwards? it will only suck air one way.