PDA

View Full Version : Sump Questions

Coralgurl
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm still getting used to this sump set up and have been tweaking things as I go. I have set up a refugium and finally got a light installed last night. When I turned it on, I was surprised by the amount of crap/crud in the sump. Does anyone purposely throw a CUC in to keep it clean? If so, what's good to go in? I know bad crabs will get banished etc. I try to clean out as much as I can with water changes, but with adding more equipment, its getting a wee bit tight. Or, is this nothing to worry about?

As far as equipment in the sump, I have a RO Skimmer, BRS reactor running carbon and gfo and a filter sock on my overflow (just 1).

Thanks

reefgirl189
04-25-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a few snails and worms in my sump with a few pieces of LR that I could squeeze in there and everyone seems happy. I don't see why you can't! Some people even keep mantis in their sumps.

Seriak
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I get a lot of crud building up in my one tank without a filter sock. I siphon it out on occasion. My main tank has the filter sock and I get none of that crap building up in my sump. The sump still looks new. You can add a CUC to your sump, but I would rather not worry about what I am going to be sucking out or damaging whenever I am playing with something in my sump.

reefwars
04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Put a nano powerhead in your Skimmer section, leave your fuge dirty don't even clean the glass, if your fuge is bare bottom just Turkey baste every now and then.

I get amazing pod growth my fuge is filled with life.even a mantis.

You seen mine I also have no room lol:o

Lots of macro it's not only good for nutrient export but benefits your tank in many ways

troni
04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
I was getting curious about the same thing, is your also like yellowish crud that you have to wipe off to get off?

Coralgurl
04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
I was getting curious about the same thing, is your also like yellowish crud that you have to wipe off to get off?

I can move it around, it's not on the glass, just collecting in the bottom of the sump and anything with a flat surface ie heaters.

I'm already noticing a difference in the tank as far as algae/cyano disappearing since adding the socks and media, water change will happen this weekend. If it doesn't hurt anything being there, will leave it and clean what I can with water changes.