PDA

View Full Version : Looking for flow ideas

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Currently I have 2 Tunze 6100s pushing a wave in the tank. I just picked up a set of 6055s, and trying to figure out how best to run them. Add to the wave, alternate from the wave (without wrecking it!), random pulses, across the bottom, top, middle....I dunno. The 6100s are in each rear corner at the top. The 6055s would go in the front, not sure where or what programming to use to fire them.

running on Apex, so lots of options..

thoughts?

christyf5
04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
you should put them in the tank and turn them on. thats what I'd do :razz:

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM

That's what everybody does, I want to be different :razz:

birch

Leah
04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Women must think alike...I was gonna say plug em in, but thought it was to cheeky :redface:
and chickened out. :wink:

Leah
04-23-2012, 08:01 PM

birch

What is this new word?

christyf5
04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
birch

I'm reporting you for that!

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Women must think alike...I was gonna say plug em in, but thought it was to cheeky :redface:
and chickened out. :wink:

With an Apex though, there are so many options, that just running powerheads seems silly :)

troni
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
put them on the floor and point up thats different :mrgreen:

but seriously put the a 1/4 in on each side and angle them to the centre or
put them as low and you can without disturbing sand
aim them towards a dead corner

christyf5
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM

well its likely you'll need help what with that crazy sandbed you have in there. can you say "snowglobe"?? :razz:

Delphinus
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
About a year ago I was looking for flow advice for placement. As non-helpful as any of these replies are, I'm sort of a little bit jealous you got replies at all.

But as non helpful as the replies are .. they are correct. Put them where you want them. Then adjust the programming so that you get what you want out of them.

Done and done :p

Took me a few iterations and placements and program settings before I got something I was sort of happy with. But seeing as every tank is unique, what works optimally for one person won't be as optimal for another .. you have to tweak and evaluate and adjust.

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
About a year ago I was looking for flow advice for placement. As non-helpful as any of these replies are, I'm sort of a little bit jealous you got replies at all.

But as non helpful as the replies are .. they are correct. Put them where you want them. Then adjust the programming so that you get what you want out of them.

Done and done :p

Took me a few iterations and placements and program settings before I got something I was sort of happy with. But seeing as every tank is unique, what works optimally for one person won't be as optimal for another .. you have to tweak and evaluate and adjust.

equally unhelpful, but with so many more words :)

Delphinus
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't be such a birch. :p

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 08:37 PM
lol

lastlight
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
not saying this is helpful but what I do with minimal powerheads is a gyre with some pulsing flow across it.

I have 2 x 6105 stacked on top of each other and about 5" off my sandbed blastic across the back of the tank... aimed slightly upwards to keep some sand in place. then you can see where I have my other 6105s on the back wall. they flow across to the front through gaps in the scape... but they are still angled so when they hit the front their flow direction is with the gyre. All 4 of those switch up on the interval 2 setting on my 7095.

I added a pair of tiny 6025s to fill in some deadish spots. They actually made a difference!

Lance
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Brad, I ran a decent sized wave for awhile but eventually I found the tank seems to be happiest with a random-type motion. I'm currently running 2xMP40's on Reef Crest Random Mode, both at the same end of the tank about 1/2 way down. Then there are 2x Tunze 6085; one at each end of the tank pointing at the surface for agitation. A Vertex Mocean keeps water moving in all directions and the two return outlets have Flow Accelerators and are pointed down to the back of the tank to help keep crap off the bottom. Total flow is about 12,000 GPH which is about a 53 times turnover. Hope this helps.

Delphinus
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Have you considered adding a Vortech? Or a wavebox?

lastlight
04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
gyre!

Aquattro
04-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Have you considered adding a Vortech? Or a wavebox?

I would never use a vortech, and I have a wave already without a wavebox. Just looking to maximize flow with these 6055s I bought. God deal, so had to buy them. :)

Borderjumper
04-24-2012, 01:38 AM
I would never use a vortech, and I have a wave already without a wavebox. Just looking to maximize flow with these 6055s I bought. God deal, so had to buy them. :)
Gotta love buying used equipment from The Big Guy himself!

Aquattro
04-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Gotta love buying used equipment from The Big Guy himself!

Ya, we have a deal. When he's done with moving the oceans, he sells me theh leftover gear. It was also a GOOD deal :)