PDA

View Full Version : ghost feeding

troni
04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
so my clowns past away last week and now my tank has some corals and 3 hermits, and incredible amounts of pods. i havent feed my tank beside phyto for about a week. i would like to add fish after i wait about 4-6 weeks, in the mean time should i be feeding the tank? I'd also like to know why. thank you.

paddyob
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Both your clowns died in one week??????

Something is wrong. Definitely wrong.

Maybe I missed it, but did you already post this as happening??

troni
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
yes they did and yes i did.
they were the only ones in there.

paddyob
04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
crappy.

How is your water testing?

Was it definitely a parasite?

paddyob
04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
so my clowns past away last week and now my tank has some corals and 3 hermits, and incredible amounts of pods. i havent feed my tank beside phyto for about a week. i would like to add fish after i wait about 4-6 weeks, in the mean time should i be feeding the tank? I'd also like to know why. thank you.

I would not worry much about feeding the hermits. If you have any algaes or whatnot they will find something to eat.

If you are concerned, drop a few pellets in every other day.

troni
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
what parameters didnt pick up anything. as im new I'm not sure it was a parasite.
since ive been using rodi water and sump with fuge installed i dont have much algae besides coraline. todays w/c might get tap water. like my tank is looking crisp, clean, sand is very clean. but its not the hermits im worried about its the bacteria, and pods.

marie
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
By feeding your tank a couple of days a week, it will help maintain bacteria levels and the tank won't get the double ammonia whammy (from the food and the fish) when you do finally add fish

reefwars
04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
By feeding your tank a couple of days a week, it will help maintain bacteria levels and the tank won't get the double ammonia whammy (from the food and the fish) when you do finally add fish

Good advice:)

troni
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
i have NLS pellets and frozen mysis which should i do?

christyf5
04-23-2012, 04:23 PM
go for the pellets, they're easier. just drop a few in every 3 days or so

Nano
04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
go for the pellets, they're easier. just drop a few in every 3 days or so

just curious, and not to hijack, but would reefroids or phyto serve the same purpose? or is that more coral food

troni
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
No problem you don't want to start an entire thread just for that but Coral food

thank you everybody!

christyf5
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
just curious, and not to hijack, but would reefroids or phyto serve the same purpose? or is that more coral food

they would serve the same purpose, if you have corals that eat it it would be probably be better but IMO, its more expensive to keep your tank going with those and pellets get the job done pretty handily and for cheaper. And I wouldn't use mysis because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to defrost it etc.

Nano
04-23-2012, 04:47 PM
BTW Troni, sorry to hear of the loss.. hopefully we can track do the cause? I'm kinda with Pat on the parasite thing, cause its strange for the inverts to be unaffected, if there was a parameter problem which it sounds like there wasnt. did you ever have ich or anything like it in the past? (not that ich was the cause)

troni
04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
sure. i had a cleaner shrimp aswell and 4 nass snails, emerald crab. i added my sump in with 5 gal rodi and 10 tap water. the tap water was not dechlorinated untill i relized it a few hours later. the salinity dropped and i raised it waaaay to fast. the cleaner shrimp died within hours and the nass snails snout is half the size and split down the middle and emerald crab is ok.
never had ich or anything before. shortly after adding my sump i added 2 hector gobies which i think brought something because they died 2 and 4 days later.