PDA

View Full Version : Advice please -re: value of UV steralizer

gridley
04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
We are in the process of setting up our first reef tank (90G). I am in the process of building a stand and so are a ways from having the tank up and running. However, a freind who has recently shut his system down has offered me a new, in the box steralizer - a Coralife Turbo Twist 12X 36W for a very good price. My question is - as we start out, should we buy this, or save the cash for other items? My understanding is that they help to get rid of unwanted bacteria, and here I show how little I know - how valuable is a UV steralizer?
Thanks

gregzz4
04-23-2012, 04:17 AM
UV Sterilizers are invaluable when run on a QT. They also help keep rampant amounts of algae out of the water column that can make your water really murky.
If not set up correctly, they will kill too much beneficial bacteria, so read up on them before you decide what flow to run through it.
Some, like I, love them. Some say they are a waste of time and money.
Either way, in my opinion, and sorry to your buddy but, the turbo twists are garbage. They use proprietary bulbs that are costly and sometimes hard to find.
If you're going to run one, decide where it will fit into your plumbing plans before you buy. There are hangons, inline, intank/sump. Don't restrict your plans to save a few bucks on what is in front of you.

windcoast reefs
04-23-2012, 04:19 AM
I like them, but I only use it when im having problem with ich or a bacterial infection, and sometimes I find it helps clear up my water. But that said I have never run one full time. If its under $60 I would get it, but if not I would keep the money and invest in a better skimmer or lights.

gridley
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks - now to show more of my lack of knoweldge - do you know whether this turbo twist is inline, sump or hang one? What ar ethe advantages / disadvantages of the various kinds? Thanks

albert_dao
04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Try to snag one of the Emperor Aquatics brand if you can. They are, by far, the best sterilizer on the market.

http://www.emperoraquatics.com/smart-uv-lite-sterilizers.php

I've used five different UV sterlizer models and these were the only ones I could get behind.

RuGlu6
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
here is very inexpensive UV light, bulbs are available no problem.
If you want to get you water sterilized a lot, run LESS water through the unit.
If your water is not infected and not much algae then you can turn it off or have more flow through.

http://www.aquatraders.com/category-s/8.htm

(External Hang-On or In-Line Installation.

When using at the proper flow rates, UV Sterilizer can effectively eliminate algae bloom and help control fish disease. Features high quality quartz sleeve maximizing transmission rate, additional hose adapter and mounting kit enhance installation flexibility. Suitable for freshwater, saltwater aquariums, and ponds.)

Also there is one more use that i get from mine.
When there is a seasonal flu, i use it in our bedrooms to sterilize the air, walls and whatever UV light can get to. Its like having your own Sun to sterilize the room. Very effective! Just open the unit and turn it on with out the outer shell to expose the bulb.
Obviously this is done when no one is around and kids are not allowed in these rooms when UV is on. A note on the door is also good idea as a reminder for ourselves.
I usually put it on the light switch operated wall plug so i can just turn it on /off without looking from behind the door.

globaldesigns
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
As someone that has run them a few times, and different models, I have chosen to do without. They are good and beneficial, but can also be bad... If not use correctly.

Just do your research and decide the reason for wanting it.

gridley
04-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Thank you to everyone for your advice and help.

wickedfrags
04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I have spend disturbing amount of time and money in the saltwater hobby since the mid 90's and have owned 3 saltwater tanks over 200 gallons. I just set up a 90G reef tank with a bubble king skimmer and a Vertex Illumina.............a UV sterilizer was never even considered. Unless it is used on a quarantine system without a sand bed.......you will never see the diffference between using one and not using one. just my 2 cents.

gridley
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I have spend disturbing amount of time and money in the saltwater hobby since the mid 90's and have owned 3 saltwater tanks over 200 gallons. I just set up a 90G reef tank with a bubble king skimmer and a Vertex Illumina.............a UV sterilizer was never even considered. Unless it is used on a quarantine system without a sand bed.......you will never see the diffference between using one and not using one. just my 2 cents.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your thought as mine is also a 90G. Out of courisoity, what modle of Bubble Kin Skimer do you have - my wife and I are liely going shopping on Friday for one. Also interested in more info on your lighting - I have had people recommend several brands - but no one has mentioned the Vertx Illumina - I'm assuming that is an LED?