PDA

View Full Version : Moving everything into different tank

canadianbudz604
04-23-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a 10g nano but I want to move everything out of it and into my 20g. Am I going to get a cycle? What are the steps for this or is there anything special I need to do? How do I get about removing the sand or is it smarter just to put all new live sand? Also because I only have 10lbs of live Rock how do I go about adding base rock? Any tips and help is appreciated. Btw my nano is 3 months old

gregzz4
04-23-2012, 04:06 AM
I have a 10g nano but I want to move everything out of it and into my 20g. Am I going to get a cycle? What are the steps for this or is there anything special I need to do? How do I get about removing the sand or is it smarter just to put all new live sand? Also because I only have 10lbs of live Rock how do I go about adding base rock? Any tips and help is appreciated. Btw my nano is 3 months old
I'm pretty new to all this but I've read lots :smile:
First, to follow my suggestions, you'll need, at least, a second heater and a powerhead.
You shouldn't get a cycle as long as the rock goes directly from tank to tank and the parameters match very well. If you transfer the sand without washing it, you may get a cycle, or even a crash. ( read below about this ).
To avoid a cycle, get your new tank ready with the base rock you want, or cycle it with more live rock ( before the change over ).
Make sure the params between the 2 tanks match ie; SG, Temp, pH, before your final transfer of live anything.
You can re-use the sand or buy new, or add new to what you have. Either way, if you re-use it, your safest bet is to siphon it all out and thoroughly wash it. This will virtually guarantee against any die-off due to a cycle/crash. Your tank isn't that mature yet, so you could transfer the sand, but it's risky, especially if it's more than an inch or so deep.

fishytime
04-23-2012, 04:34 AM
if the rock hits the air it will experience some die off .....to what degree will depend on how much time the rock is exposed to the air and how quickly the move takes place..if the rock goes from the tank directly into the new tank (full of water) then the die off will be minimal and you shouldnt see a big cycle.....if the rock sits for a while, exposed to the air then it will cycle...if your going to re-use the sand, wash it thoroughly or use new sand

gregzz4
04-23-2012, 06:54 AM
See, told ya I'm new to this :wink:

canadianbudz604
04-23-2012, 11:06 PM
So what if I use 3/4 of my 10g tank water and make the other 10g fresh saltwater, will I need to re acclimate my shrimp and clownfish and crabs? The 10g has a huge chip in it and it's gonna leak or just break all together. The live rock will hit the air for a few seconds only. And I'll buy a new bag of sand.

Mike-fish
04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
in 3 moves of the 180g we haven't had even a mini cycle. the rock is dry for at least a 1/2hour before we add water to the pails. sand is all removed and the only moisture with the sand is whatever water is scoped up with it.

fishytime
04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
in 3 moves of the 180g we haven't had even a mini cycle. the rock is dry for at least a 1/2hour before we add water to the pails. sand is all removed and the only moisture with the sand is whatever water is scoped up with it.

consider yourself lucky.....Ive moved tanks with minimal cycle before too....always with the same general game plan, until the the last time I moved.....I went from a tank that was FTOTM to absolutely nothing in a matter of 24 hours.....dont take moving a tank for granted:wink:.....