PDA

View Full Version : what skimmer to use

Willito
03-17-2004, 01:54 AM
What brand of skimmer is everybody using these day? It's a question that is overwhelming me because of the many different makes, models, and the concepts that are available today. I am currently using a Berlin Classic but don't like it's mediocre performance. I want to invest into something that is highly effecient and will last me many years. I want to spend good money for a quality product but don't know where to start. Could someone with experience of today's up-to-date technology on protein skimmer, please advise me of the goods and the bads that are available on the market. thx.

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Sump or hang on model?

Willito
03-17-2004, 01:59 AM
looking for in-sump.

Delphinus
03-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Moving to the main forum ...

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 02:05 AM
looking for in-sump.

Many people are praising the Euroreef as an excellent skimmer. One good feature is that the price includes the pump. My new skimmer is going to adopt the Aerofoamer design, but it takes up a lot of height and needs a $200 pump to run it. Lots of quality Beckett skimmers out there for good prices. Ocean Aquatics can build one for you if you want to go that way.

Willito
03-17-2004, 03:03 AM
I also hear alot of good things about the Euro-reef. Haven't yet come across a negative review. It is one that I am considering.

Could the Euro-reef be compared to the beckett-style skimmer in regards to it's skimmage efficiency in a given time frame. I am not sure if anyone has actually done the comparison, but such a result from that would definitely help in determining.

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Could the Euro-reef be compared to the beckett-style skimmer in regards to it's skimmage efficiency in a given time frame. I am not sure if anyone has actually done the comparison, but such a result from that would definitely help in determining.

Someone has in fact compared the ER to beckett skimmers. Do a google search on skimmer comparisons, it shouldn't be tough to find. It compared it to the Aerofoamer and one other, I recall.

MitchM
03-17-2004, 03:28 AM
I thought the same way when I purchased my skimmer. I didn't want to buy a skimmer twice.
Mine isn't mainstream and it isn't either in-sump or hang-on. It stands on it's own. I've had it running for 5 years now, and have yet to replace a part. It's non-adjustable, which is nice. Easy to clean.
It's too big for your present 100g, but if you're considering upsizing in the future, it may be worth a look.

(Aquamedic)

http://members.picturelist.com/images/carpentersreef/DSCN2006.jpg

Mitch

StirCrazy
03-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Mitch are you hiding stuff under the stairs like me? :mrgreen:

Steve

MitchM
03-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Like you wouldn't believe....
my furnace guy hates me.

Mitch

EmilyB
03-17-2004, 03:49 AM
The furnace is under the tank I think... :eek:

Mitch keeps a high bioload with this baby. :cool: :mrgreen:

However, I am quite enamoured with my Euroreefs for perfomance and ease of use. :biggrin:

Willito
03-17-2004, 03:55 AM
However, I am quite enamoured with my Euroreefs for perfomance and ease of use. :biggrin:

Which model do you have and what size tank is it skimming. How is the venturi? Does it get clogged like most other venturi after time?

EmilyB
03-17-2004, 04:50 AM

Which model do you have and what size tank is it skimming. How is the venturi? Does it get clogged like most other venturi after time?

I have the CS8-1 (holding it's own on the new 230g) and the CS6-3 on a 108 FOWLR.

There is no venturi. You are welcome to view them. :smile:

sleeman
03-17-2004, 05:07 PM
I am using a Euoreef 6-2+. It is on a 75 with a 30 gal sump. I am extremley happy with it. Took me about 1 week to get it set the way I want and it produces nice black skimate. Easy to clean and set up. By going with anything larger than the 6-2 you get the larger pump. 500 lph vice 3500 lph

Cheers,

Al

Willito
03-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Where did y'all buy your Euro-reef?
Where is the cheapest source, Canada or across the border?

EmilyB
03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
They never had them in Canada when I bought mine so it was pretty pricey... :eek:

sleeman
03-17-2004, 11:18 PM
I bought mine from J&L. I paid 450 during the boxing day sale. YOu can try to get a blemished model from h2otropicals.com, but it is pretty hard to get one from them now.

CHeers,

Al

victornguyen
03-18-2004, 02:45 AM
I use a lifereef skimmer from lifereef.com Its works awesome.

victor

JohnM99
03-18-2004, 02:24 PM
I think 2 of the most popular are Aqua C and Euroreef - lots of debate on other forums, but from the tons of posts I have read, I think Euroreef has the least people unhappy with them. I ended up with an AquaC 180 - I have had quite a bit of trouble tuning it - which is not what you hear from Euroreef owners. But, the AquaC are apparently pretty efficient once you get them running correctly.

There are two product lines for Euroreef - a cheaper one (E line) and more expensive line (C line) - different quality acrylic - but apparently same function. Only drawbacks are - in sump operation only (not out of sump) and no overflow connection for skimmate - but the cup is very large.

I would probably have bought a Euroreef, but my sump is long and narrow and it wouldn't fit.

There are also some very interesting German skimmers - hard to get and pricey. Other ones to look at are MyReefCreations and Precision Marine.

HTH
John

Willito
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions by everyone. From what I've gathered, I think Euro-reef best fiits my set-up.
Just one more question though, which model will sufficiently support my reef. It's like this:
100g reef
30g sump
150lb Fiji
75lb Aragonite
NO corals yet, but hopefully a tank full of SPS/Soft
8-10 fish(medium sized)
350W of lighting

I want a perfectly clean system, yet don't want to over-skimming either. In your personal experience, which model can you recommend for my set-up? I appreciate any comments.

sleeman
03-20-2004, 04:46 PM
I am using the 6-2+ on a 75 with 30 gal Sum/Refug. I could have gone smaller, but when I was talking to he guy at h2o he said to go with the larger pump. I think the 6-2+ or the 8-1 would either fit your needs.
With the mine, I have it set so only the real nasties make it into the cup. My foam wil usually hang in the collection cup for better than an hour if I shut the skimmer off.

My only complaint would be that when I add selcon (vitamin supplement) the skimmer stops producing and I have some bubbles escape the skimmer. I think it is because I have the skimmer water level set so low.

All I do for maintenece is clean the cup once a week, put hot water down the venturi every 2 weeks and clean the whole skimmer once a month (or 2 or 3)

Cheers,

Al