PDA

View Full Version : Shipping livestock

CherylMcKay
04-22-2012, 04:44 AM
I am coming down to Calgary/Red Deer in the beginning of May. I am looking for some macro algae,some live rock and maybe a softie or two. We are coming down in a truck and then I am flying home. I have 2 questions

1. I will be bringing a couple of livestock boxes for the algae and the rock but it will be going back by truck without me. I know the algae should be okay and doesn't need the dark but I am worried about the rock and the best way to ship it.

2. As the truck will arrive before me and I have never done this type of shipping before, I could really use some help with the possibility of picking up some softies or livestock. How long is too dangerous? I am going to check on wether I can take them on the plane, but if they were to go in the truck, what is possible?

ensquire
04-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi Cheryl.
I do this when I go to Edmonton, I check livestock as luggage everytime with Westjet. you get funny looks but no problems as long as it's kept to weight specs.
As for the rocks and shipping ground, thats a long trip back to Whitehorse. You might want to use a cooler or something big enough and use an inverter for a heater and powerhead in some saltwater. Others might have better ideas for this.
But for sure check with whoever you fly with and should be no problem taking livestock back.

I am coming down to Calgary/Red Deer in the beginning of May. I am looking for some macro algae,some live rock and maybe a softie or two. We are coming down in a truck and then I am flying home. I have 2 questions

1. I will be bringing a couple of livestock boxes for the algae and the rock but it will be going back by truck without me. I know the algae should be okay and doesn't need the dark but I am worried about the rock and the best way to ship it.

2. As the truck will arrive before me and I have never done this type of shipping before, I could really use some help with the possibility of picking up some softies or livestock. How long is too dangerous? I am going to check on wether I can take them on the plane, but if they were to go in the truck, what is possible?