PDA

View Full Version : adding fish oil to foods

freezetyle
04-22-2012, 04:39 AM
I was cruising through some threads on RC and the topic came up on feeding fish black worms and supplementing fish oil on foods. I normally add selcon to foods but I'm wondering if one would notice much difference by using fish oil?
Anyone add fish oil to boost up the amount of Calories there fish get? The author sure has had some success with what ever he's doing (35 year old reef)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160084

Snaz
04-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I would advise caution. Fish oil while is more soluable than most of the meaty oils it still tends to float on water unless vigorously whipped or it starts to degrade.

The risks are fouling filter media, creating a slick and being a general mess. That said if done right and the tank is excellent with quick and heavy bioload then fish oil supplement could be a great nutrition for live fish.

Megalodon
04-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Just soak your dry food along with the Zelcon. It doesn't fowl the water if used in moderation, ie., the food completely absorbs it. I've never used actual fish oil (like from Omega 3 softgel supplements for human consumption, which I take daily) but I have used Omega supplements made for marine fish food. I'm not sure what the difference is but now I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money.