PDA

View Full Version : Gfo/carbon reactor in sump placement ??

Coralgurl
04-22-2012, 02:56 AM
I have my brs dual reactor set up and ready to go but unsure where the best place to pull water from and then return. I just added a make shift fuge between the skimmer and the baffles. Also, can the reactors go straight in the sump, the hoses and attachments are sensitive and any movement causes them to leak.

reefwars
04-22-2012, 03:07 AM
I have my brs dual reactor set up and ready to go but unsure where the best place to pull water from and then return. I just added a make shift fuge between the skimmer and the baffles. Also, can the reactors go straight in the sump, the hoses and attachments are sensitive and any movement causes them to leak.

it can go right in the sump, for me its a matter of space and so hanging it on my sump(on the inside) in my skimmer section is the only place i have room , personally i would run it in my return section if i had the room.

if your using gfo and carbon together i think its gfo first then carbon(if your using the double reactor ) im not 100% sure as its been a while since i had the double reactor:)

Coralgurl
04-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Yup, gfo first then carbon. I can put it in the return section for sure, got some room...in it goes. :lol:

reefwars
04-22-2012, 03:26 AM
what pump you using??:)

Proteus
04-22-2012, 03:30 AM
yeah i only pull out of return side

found it was better to build a manifold and run each reactor seperate

Coralgurl
04-22-2012, 03:37 AM
I got the dual reactor from brs, with a cobalt mj-1200 pump, which I bought as a package.
Flushed it all first and made sure it was gfo was at the right levels, ran it into a bucket.

subman
04-22-2012, 03:39 AM
yeah i only pull out of return side

found it was better to build a manifold and run each reactor seperate

The dual brs only has one inlet. It is labeled gfo and carbon as well.

Coralgurl
04-22-2012, 03:46 AM
The dual brs only has one inlet. It is labeled gfo and carbon as well.

Makes it easy to set up:lol:

Will have to cut the tubing but for now it's working!

Proteus
04-22-2012, 03:47 AM
should specify

i have next reef reactors was unaware of this with brs

subman
04-22-2012, 03:52 AM
should specify

i have next reef reactors was unaware of this with brs

I know I only meant to point it out.

I am laying out my sump right now and this was one of my questions as well (same reactor)

So why in the return section?

I was hoping to run it off an mj-900 is that not enough?

Proteus
04-22-2012, 04:00 AM
if you run socks it be fine anywhere

i found before that if i ran it elsewhere the foam would plug off fast so the return was the spot with less larger particals

reefwars
04-22-2012, 04:02 AM
I know I only meant to point it out.

I am laying out my sump right now and this was one of my questions as well (same reactor)

So why in the return section?

I was hoping to run it off an mj-900 is that not enough?

i never tried with the mj9 but the 12 worked great for me i cant see why the 9 wouldnt work as its throttled back anyways.

i like the outlet of my phosphate media as close to the return as possible ,i guess if i cant get it right to the display then the pump would be the next best thing.

reefwars
04-22-2012, 04:03 AM
if you run socks it be fine anywhere

i found before that if i ran it elsewhere the foam would plug off fast so the return was the spot with less larger particals

thats true too the return chamber i usually the cleanest section in most sumps ditrius wise.

bignose
04-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Reactor can go anywhere. I have the intake at the sump return chamber to pull the cleanest water and the output beside the skimmer intake to pull anything that gets out of the reactor.

reefgirl189
04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the BRS reactor only rated for a max of 120 gallons?

subman
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the BRS reactor only rated for a max of 120 gallons?

Could be. I find it funny to put a gallon rating on items like these. I may have to change media more often but I haven't had a phosphate problem in years so its there just in case. If I have a higher po4 Ill fill both chambers with GFO and run carbon in another reactor. Just seems funny to me to rate these with a gallon volume in mind.

Coralgurl
04-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't see anything rating the reactor to tank size. I think the amount of media used would be however.

reefwars
04-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Could be. I find it funny to put a gallon rating on items like these. I may have to change media more often but I haven't had a phosphate problem in years so its there just in case. If I have a higher po4 Ill fill both chambers with GFO and run carbon in another reactor. Just seems funny to me to rate these with a gallon volume in mind.

Especially since
most people use different kinds of pumps

reefgirl189
04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't see anything rating the reactor to tank size. I think the amount of media used would be however.

It's in their youtube video detailing the reactor.
I want the same dual chamber one you have but I was wondering if it would be enough.

Coralgurl
04-23-2012, 12:22 AM
It's in their youtube video detailing the reactor.
I want the same dual chamber one you have but I was wondering if it would be enough.

Well thats interesting. Just watched the video and you are right, it's to 120 gl. Hmmm. Guess I will wait and see how things go, wish they put that on the specs on the website.

gregzz4
04-23-2012, 12:34 AM
The BRS Dual Reactor (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor-1.html) states the canisters can hold 3 cups of carbon and 2 cups of GFO. I'd think that would be enough for a 180, but I'm no expert on reactors.

Coralgurl
04-23-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm not worried. I've added a filter sock and macro algae to the sump. I think as a combination, it will do what I need. I didn't max out the amount of media I put in, if it needs more will add more but will see how things look over the next month.

reefgirl189
04-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah I don't really see how they can have a rating either... I mean couldn't you just change the media more or less often depending on your needs? Or use more or less media to begin with.