PDA

View Full Version : Rant/bad service at Reef Solutions in Laval, QC, Canada.

Semaka
04-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Ok so here's my rant. ~Three weeks ago I went to Reef Solutions Canada (Laval, Qc) to look for some prices on a complete system. They were helpful enough to provide me with a list of prices for a complete reef system. After a lot of research I decided against buying the whole system from them having found the equipment and lights cheaper at other fish shops. However, I did buy the tank, stand and sump from them. Now the interesting part.

I brought the stand home I found out that the sump did not fit under the stand (I could fit it if i took the top middle brace out, however it was too tall for me to take out the skimmer without separating it into pieces and taking them out individually). When I took the measurements in the shop, I took them on the more expensive model having been told by the shop guy there would be no middle brace and all other measurements would be identical on the cheaper stand (cheaper stand ended up being shorter in height and had a middle brace). So yea I brought the stand home, sump wouldn't fit in it. I tried returning the sump to the shop I was told I could not return it because it was never recommended by them for such a system.

Went back home and received a call from the guy I have bought the items from. After a long explanation on how he never recommended that item and that it is totally my fault for having bought the wrong item (+not being allowed to return the too tall sump) he went on to tell me: "The only reason why you bought anything from us was that you couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else on the internet. If you could have saved 5 $ on it you would have bought it from the internet." NOW I don't care about the 95$ that I wasted buying the extra sump I still came out at 260 with a new 30g tank, much cheaper than an equivalent aqueon sump which was 399$. But the mentality of this guy baffles me. I was rather surprised that he would be soo bothered by the fact that I looked around to find better prices. I will let you judge his behaviour, I know they have lost a client that had just set up a system and was just getting started spending his cash. Oh and yea if you buy from them I guess don't look around for better prices, it upsets them.

TL: DR When I tried returning a tank (bought the day before) to the shop where i bought it from, the guy at Reef Solutions told me I could not return it because he never recommended the item for my stand and that "The only reason why you bought anything from us was that you couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else on the internet. If you could have saved 5 $ on it you would have bought it from the internet."
Sorry for the long rant. Have a good day.
Feel free to move this thread in the appropriate category if I placed it wrong.

mess7777
04-22-2012, 04:00 AM
This isn't the right forum to be sure, but you should see what rights you have with the quebec consumer protection act. Seems that if they sold you something that will not work and promised you it would, you should be able to return.

Fight the power, and make sure to spread the word of their crappy service on all the local reef forums (reef action is one of the main QC forums). You don't survive long in this business without providing great customer service. The community is close knit and small, bad reviews can be very damaging.