PDA

View Full Version : Nano Cube 12 too much flow!

Enigma
04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I upgraded the stock pump to a Maxi Jet 900, and I have (had) a powerhead in there. Holy flow, Batman! Crazy flow throughout the entire tank. So, I pulled the powerhead. The flow still seems more than sufficient.

Will it be fine without the 240 gph powerhead?

lorenz0
04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I run a 240gph on my bc14 with a MJ900 and its perfect. I would put it back in there

arash53
04-22-2012, 01:26 AM
dont worry ,it will be enough flow, even with stock pump. the only problem I had with my nano-cube 12G was the temperature, it was running really hot.

Enigma
04-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe I'll wait for a few days to see if anything changes for the worse without the powerhead.

I added two baby clownfish and four little frags yesterday.

The fish were having a terrible time. The two little mushrooms were being folded in half, and the little Xenia was almost blown horizontal. The little toadstool was the only thing that wasn't affected by the huge current.

Everything looks much better after pulling the powerhead. The Xenia is still getting a little too much flow, but there isn't a lower flow spot in the tank. The current moves clockwise around the tank.

Maybe the powerhead should go underneath the overflow and send the water in the opposite direction of the inflow nozzle?

lorenz0
04-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Maybe the powerhead should go underneath the overflow and send the water in the opposite direction of the inflow nozzle?

thats how I have mine set up. I'm actually turn my powerhead off for a few days and I'll let you know how everything reacts. But I am actually considering getting rid of my MJ900 and going with something smaller. My temp has been sitting at 80 and I don't even run a heater

gregzz4
04-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Shelly, do you have the option of running something smaller for a test ?
I don't know what you started off with.
Every tank has it's own 'sweetspot' and I'd like to see you start again from the smaller end.
I suggest this as you say all your critters are being blown around with no end to the storm, per se.

What pump did you start with ?

And for the record, I am not an expert. I am just trying to help :smile:

Enigma
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
thats how I have mine set up. I'm actually turn my powerhead off for a few days and I'll let you know how everything reacts. But I am actually considering getting rid of my MJ900 and going with something smaller. My temp has been sitting at 80 and I don't even run a heater

Temp has been up a bit it mine, too. But, with the warmer temperatures over the last few days, I figured that was the culprit. Maybe not?

Shelly, do you have the option of running something smaller for a test ?
I don't know what you started off with.
Every tank has it's own 'sweetspot' and I'd like to see you start again from the smaller end.
I suggest this as you say all your critters are being blown around with no end to the storm, per se.

What pump did you start with ?

And for the record, I am not an expert. I am just trying to help :smile:

I started with the stock pump: a Dophin p-150. I have a Maxi Jet 400 on the way. I had purchased it to run a reactor in my other tank, but I'll try it in this tank to see if it allows me to run a pump and a little powerhead. As for the reactor, I'll try it with the little Dophin instead. As I'll be running a couple of reactors (the littlest ones on the market) in the other tank, the 900 might work well for powering those.

Enigma
04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
I did put the powerhead back in this tank last night, but I placed it underneath the overflow. The movement in the tank is much better. There is still a lot of flow, but it isn't quite the whirlpool that it was.

UPS tracking indicates that my MJ400 should be here today.

Enigma
04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I've now installed the MJ 400. Much better! The pump and the powerhead are both running. The flow is varied in the tank now, and there are a couple of places where lower flow corals should do well.