PDA

View Full Version : reef sand instant cycle... just add fish

Kirktimm
04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/caramon420/photo3.jpg
Anyone ever use this sand before.. and just add fish after u add sand and the murkyness cleared up

bignose
04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Never used it before, personally I would let the tank cycle properly. It's not worth risking the health of the livestock.

paddyob
04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Willing to risk it?

Never seen a tank without rocks. Sand might be fine, but you WILL get a cycle.

Maybe it's time for patience. It's free. Seeing a few issues you have posted, looks like you could try the normal route and do a proper set up and cycle instead of looking for an instant tank.

More research instead of trying the "easy way out"

paddyob
04-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Never used it before, personally I would let the tank cycle properly. It's not worth risking the health of the livestock.

Jay you posted the same as me.

Too many lazy steps available to those who refuse to actually research things first.

bignose
04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I know it's hard to resist but take your time, this hobby is all about research and patience.

paddyob
04-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Seeing a few issues you have posted, looks like you could try the normal route and do a proper set up and cycle instead of looking for an instant tank.

Might have you confused with someone else's posts lately. If so, sorry.

Kirktimm
04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
ohhh i am most deffently gonna wait the three weeks still gotta cure the rock after that crash just not gonna jump right into it again. research i have been doing it, But I like to see what everyone has to say about it frist, I like feedback to from ppl to.

Kirktimm
04-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Willing to risk it?

Never seen a tank without rocks. Sand might be fine, but you WILL get a cycle.

Maybe it's time for patience. It's free. Seeing a few issues you have posted, looks like you could try the normal route and do a proper set up and cycle instead of looking for an instant tank.

Personaly i like feed back from other ppl. What u don't think i would wait three weeks.? I did on my last tank and my firend can say he help with 2 years exp setup the last one and if u wanna know what happend to my old tank I added 3.6 pounds of rock that had stuff dieing in the rock. Thats a different story, And I do research my stuff.

Kirktimm
04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/caramon420/photo.jpg

paddyob
04-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Might have you confused with someone else's posts lately. If so, sorry.

Personaly i like feed back from other ppl. What u don't think i would wait three weeks.? I did on my last tank and my firend can say he help with 2 years exp setup the last one and if u wanna know what happend to my old tank I added 3.6 pounds of rock that had stuff dieing in the rock. Thats a different story, And I do research my stuff.

I will not offer any other experience since you don't require it.

If you read everything, I corrected myself soon after. And apologized.

Hope your research goes better than that. Lol.

A good cycle is 4-6 weeks by the way.

GOOD luck.

Kirktimm
04-22-2012, 01:29 AM
well i was told three weeks but thanx since i got new sand i might have to wait 4 to 6 weeks cause of the rock

Kirktimm
04-22-2012, 01:35 AM
I will not offer any other experience since you don't require it.

If you read everything, I corrected myself soon after. And apologized.

Hope your research goes better than that. Lol.

A good cycle is 4-6 weeks by the way.

GOOD luck.

what would u do if the that rock was in a tank crash.? wait the 6 weeks so i can start getten that good bacteria back into the live rock?

paddyob
04-22-2012, 02:58 AM
what would u do if the that rock was in a tank crash.? wait the 6 weeks so i can start getten that good bacteria back into the live rock?

The best thing is ensure you get a test kit.

A tank crash causes die off even on the rock.

Add your sand and rock. Let it sit 3/4 weeks and then test it. You want ALL tests of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite to come at zero. Any levels detectable mean you are cycling.

The good bacteria is still there, it's the die off that needs to "disappear" or become neutralized and removed by filters.

Personally I say 4 weeks. 6 in extreme cases. Just let it sit. Watch the tank go through the cycle. The remaining bacteria will populate again once the toxins are gone. Your live sand will HELP. As will water changes.

There are also bacteria cultures you can add.

Dont take me wrong. I just lay it out. No offense was meant. Just be patient and get through your cycle and the tank will prosper.

Good luck.

Kirktimm
04-22-2012, 04:26 AM

Add your sand and rock. Let it sit 3/4 weeks and then test it. You want ALL tests of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite to come at zero. Any levels detectable mean you are cycling.

The good bacteria is still there, it's the die off that needs to "disappear" or become neutralized and removed by filters.

Personally I say 4 weeks. 6 in extreme cases. Just let it sit. Watch the tank go through the cycle. The remaining bacteria will populate again once the toxins are gone. Your live sand will HELP. As will water changes.

Dont take me wrong. I just lay it out. No offense was meant. Just be patient and get through your cycle and the tank will prosper.

Good luck.

Will do and thank I'll update with a live stock pic in 6 to 8 weeks.

tim the toolman
04-22-2012, 04:50 AM
In 6-8 weeks a livestock pic should hopefully only be a couple of fish tops.
They say the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is failure. Remember that we set up our systems to survive for many years. So waiting several weeks is just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall goal.
View your tank as a work of art and your fish as companions/pets and the time involved in their happiness will be well worth it.
Good luck with this set up by the way. Hope all goes well this time around.

Megalodon
04-22-2012, 05:06 AM
There's an easy way to tell. Get a $3 bottle of cleaning ammonia from the store, add some of this alleged "live" bacteria and some ammonia to a bucket of NSW, and see if it turns it to nitrate.

Kirktimm
04-22-2012, 07:00 AM
In 6-8 weeks a livestock pic should hopefully only be a couple of fish tops.
They say the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is failure. Remember that we set up our systems to survive for many years. So waiting several weeks is just a drop in the bucket compared to the overall goal.
View your tank as a work of art and your fish as companions/pets and the time involved in their happiness will be well worth it.
Good luck with this set up by the way. Hope all goes well this time around.

Just two clowns fish I don't know what kind but I've always like them had some befor my tank crash just 2 fishes is all I had for my 20 gal and clean up crew that all I'm gonna get for awhile

Kirktimm
04-22-2012, 07:04 AM
And can I add some lps coral like 1 or two or just wait until the fish settle down?? This is the part I'm not sure about getten just lps for now or just stick with fish after the cycle for 4 to 6 weeks

Reef Supplies
04-22-2012, 02:39 PM
The faster you drive the harder you crash.

Ray

troni
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM

Good luck.

nitrates only raise when ammonia and nitrites go down, hence why we do w/c.

Reef Puffer
04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
ive used that sand (was the white shell kind). it took like a week before i could see through the murkiness, had huge stick like stuff in it, and altho it says 100% natural.... it actually had small chunks of garbage in it (like some sort of plastic bag chunks)? idk about the cycle because it was put into established water and six months later i still havnt put fish in... looks ok now, but i likely wouldnt use it again. good luck and best wishes with your setup.