PDA

View Full Version : Montipora digitata question

Delphinus
07-12-2002, 10:32 AM
I thought this stuff was supposed to be like a weed?

I'm obviously doing something wrong here. I've got a frag going on, what is it, going on three months I think, and it hasn't done a dang thing in my tank. Not a millimetre of growth, no encrusting at the base, not even polyp extension. It just sits there in perfect stasis.

Ca=400ppm, Alk=4.0, NO3=0.0.

My guess is, the difference must be either something about the water current, or the lighting. Mine sits underneath a 250W halide (6500k); should I perhaps move it away from the bulb or even into a bit of a shadier area?

(However .. if it is perhaps the light is too much, wouldn't I see polyp extension at night?)

Hints/tips/advice? (please and thank you)

Jacoda
07-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Hmmm.......I got my frags from Darren about a week ago and it's been growing like weeds, FYI I only got VHOs.

Aquattro
07-12-2002, 12:32 PM
Tony, if you can figure out how you get this stuff to NOT grow, let us know!!

BCReefer
07-12-2002, 12:42 PM
I got a frag from Darren last year and for the 1st 4 months it hardly grew at all. I did some new aquascaping and it was move to the side of tank with a little more water flow and a little less light and it has tripled in size in the past 2 months.

HTH
Patrick

Delphinus
07-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. Brad, that's an easy one, if you don't want it to grow, give it to me.

The only things I can think of, are:

1) My values are not what I think they are (using Seachem test kits .. thought they were OK, but who knows). I am starting to doubt my values, because I don't even have coraline in this tank (6 months old). Almost entirely none whatsoever. Maybe a wee little spot here or there. I think about 3 spots of 2mm coraline patches on the glass.

2) It's a water flow issue. Tank is a 75g, flow is accomplished with two MJ1200's laterally opposed at either end, plus a MJ1200 running a spray bar, plus the sump return (have no idea what the flow is through that, though.) The sump has only been in operation just shy of a week though, so that hasn't been able to help until now. It seems that there is flow, but OTOH it really does seem a whole lot gentler than a lot of tanks I know.

3) It sits directly under the Iwasaki, and it's on the top of the reef. So maybe it's just too much light for it's liking.

I have other SPS, which HAVE shown some evidence of growth (Montipora capnicoris, mostly, some some acros, a small birdnests ... wee little things mostly). Not as much growth as I would like, of course, but there is some (about 2-3mm per month. When I say "some, but not much" I really do emphasize the "not much" part! :( ). So I'm thinking there is something particular about the environment that is particularly objectionable to the M. digitata.

Maybe my nighttime temperature is too low? It goes down to about 24.5 at night (76F I think) and daytime highs are usually 26.5 (79F). yesterday it was >30C outside and the tank hit 27.5C (82). Is this too "cool" maybe??

[ 12 July 2002, 09:11: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Aquattro
07-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Tony, I've found that it doesn't matter where I put it. I have some directly below the 400w MH, some on the sand, some in no current and some directly in front of the powerhead. It all grows like weeds. I've also found it not too dependant on water parameters. I've sold some to the LFS and it even grows in their tank (you don't want to see their tank). If you were closer I'd deliver it to you on a weekly basis. I've been trying to give it away. I'm almost at the point of just throwing it in the garbage!!

One_Divided
07-12-2002, 02:04 PM
I agree with brad, current and light don't seem to be all that important with digitata. I saw a 1" brown digi frag grow to a 5" colony in about 3-4 months. It was in a lowly corner of my tank with little current. I managed to pawn it off at the lfs for some credit.

IMO, the only thing it can really be is a water chemistry thing.. You either have something in the water it doesn't like, or you are missing something in the water..

Delphinus
07-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Any suggestions of things to look for?

Canadian Man
07-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Call the city water and see a list of all the things nasty in ourwater.
Maybe you should start using your ro.
just a suggestion that i pulled out of my A@#
but who knows!

Diomedes
07-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Did you say your alkalinity was 4.0? This might sound stupid but is that in dKH? Because if it is in dKH then it should be around 8.0 to achieve maximum calcification. Also your M. digitata may not have enough trace elements (including mainly strontium and magnesium) that it needs in order to lay down calciferous layers. They need strontium esp. for rapid growth. I use only Salifert test kits (which I Slowly, Slowly aquired after months of eating Kraft Dinner) and have had a wonky reading or two come out of a Seachem IMO. I don't recommend dumping tons of trace elements in though...that can cause more problems than it solves. What are you using for maintaining your chemical levels? (Ca, Sr, Mg, I etc?)

Stephen

Delphinus
07-13-2002, 02:53 AM
Hi, no, the alk reading is meq/L, sorry I didn't mention the units.

Using Seachem Reef Builder for buffer/alkalinity dosing and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium which claims to contain magnesium and strontium as well..

Looking at the coral very closely tonight I see that I was not entirely accurate about no polyp extension. There is some, it's just that it's nowhere comparable to the mother colony.

Oh well, it's a young tank, and a youngish frag. Given enough time I guess I'll figure this all out!

I also guess I know what test kits to buy when these are done. Living off KD aint so bad! :D

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions.

[ 12 July 2002, 22:54: Message edited by: delphinus ]

spikehs
07-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Tony,

Where did you get your frag from? I have been looking for a nice fast growing coral, and this sounds like it could be it (unless i have the same luck as you). What color is it?

Aquattro
07-14-2002, 03:24 PM
I finally solved my problem with mine. I gave it all to the LFS. Good ridance!!!

Canadian Man
07-14-2002, 06:41 PM
Sean,
Tony got his his monti frag from me :D
It is the purple monti that was in my tank.
Dont know if you saw it or not.
I may have some frags in a few months that i could trade to ya. those lights for the 30g i got off you would be real nice ;)

spikehs
07-14-2002, 07:53 PM
sounds good to me, do you have any pics of it in in the mean time? How fast is it growing for you?

Canadian Man
07-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Sorry Spike, no pics cause my camera is out of service for now.

My "colony" is quite small as i have broken so many pieces off by accident. It grows quite fast as long as my levels are good. Alk mainly.
If my levels are maintained then i get a cm or so a month. This is under my flourescent lights.