PDA

View Full Version : What's the TDS readings of your source water?

chwkreefer
03-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I thought I would see how your source water tests. I'm out in Chilliwack and Chilliwack is high on the fact that we have either the best or the second best water in all of Canada. (at least for drinking) So I thought I would see how it stacks up against the rest of you in regards to total dissolved solids.

My reading this morning was 162. What's yours?

Bill

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Now Bill, everyone knows Calgary has the best drinking water, probably in the whole WORLD.. :razz: :lol:

335ppm for me.

Lofus
03-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Its the TDS that give it the taste. :-)

chwkreefer
03-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Now Bill, everyone knows Calgary has the best drinking water, probably in the whole WORLD.. :razz: :lol:

335ppm for me.

I've been to Calgary a few times in my life and one thing I'm sure to do is not drink the water. I think our public pools have less chlorine in them than Calgary's tap water. :eek: What is your water source? is it the Bow?

But maybe your right, if we are second best for water maybe you are first after all your water is twice is good as mine. :razz: 335/161 hehehehehe

venkiw
03-16-2004, 07:31 PM
80 here in Ottawa.

Tigger
03-16-2004, 07:35 PM
17 in port coquitlam

Canadian Man
03-16-2004, 08:25 PM
235 for me.

chwkreefer
03-16-2004, 08:38 PM
17 in port coquitlam

wow!!! can anyone beat that? anyone else in Poco with those kind of numbers??

pluff
03-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Sorry folks,but St.George New Brunswick has the best drinking water in the Country. I thought i would just share that with you westerners :)

Cheers,

Pluff

zulu_principle
03-16-2004, 08:58 PM
We are 14 or 15 on the TDS meter at the fishroom but cant remember the units.

Wendell

pluff
03-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I just tested mine:

Saint John New Brunswick = 29

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
I think our public pools have less chlorine in them than Calgary's tap water. :eek: What is your water source? is it the Bow?

It IS like drinking bleach, especially in the spring.

I imagine it's the Bow, we have a couple different reservoirs where they do their best to clean it up I guess. Seems the water fairs differently out of each.

chwkreefer
03-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Sorry folks,but St.George New Brunswick has the best drinking water in the Country. I thought i would just share that with you westerners :)

Cheers,

Pluff

What country is New Brunswick in? :lol: (just kidding)

hmm, never heard of that before, as of last December we were 6th best in the world and first in Canada.

Stretch
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
393 town well water

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Just measured, I get 10 from my tap.

chwkreefer
03-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Just measured, I get 10 from my tap.

Hey Brad, nice numbers. Do you RO/DI your water? if so, how much mileage do you get out of your cartridges? I would suspect a fair bit.

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 12:59 AM
I do use RO/DI. 18 months into my unit, and still get ) on the output. We do have a lot of algae here though, so th e1st prefilter gets clogged quickly.

StirCrazy
03-17-2004, 01:17 AM
I had 8 yesterday, but normaly I am around 14.. mind you we have had a lot of rain now so our resavoir is full and we probably are getting better water with the expansion.

Steve

robbyville
03-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Up in Whistler where we simply lick the glaciers to satisfy our thirst we average around 30 on the TDS, but like everywhere else it depends on how much rain we've received!

Rob

Namscam
03-17-2004, 02:33 AM
y do some ppl say they have the best drinking water when their numbers cant even come close to that in BC...???isnt a lower number the better....
unless they arent talking bout drinking water and is talking bout how good their water is good for a swimming poool .. you dont need to add chlorine..its instant Cl.

Bryan
03-17-2004, 02:41 AM
10-14 in downtown Vancouver

Aquattro
03-17-2004, 02:54 AM
isnt a lower number the better.

No, a lower number means less total dissolved solids. That's salts , in all their forms. These salts (minerals) aren't used to determine DW quality. Things like PO4, NO3, Si, organic carbons, etc are used to determine drinking water quality. You'll have to have a lab analysis to determine what your water quality is, as we don't have test kits for the bad stuff.

go here to have a look.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/water/en/manage/qual/e_measur.htm

chwkreefer
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
y do some ppl say they have the best drinking water when their numbers cant even come close to that in BC...???isnt a lower number the better....
unless they arent talking bout drinking water and is talking bout how good their water is good for a swimming poool .. you dont need to add chlorine..its instant Cl.

That's funny.

I would have thought that the better or best water would have a low TDS count. I know part of the testing is subjective in regards to taste.

Now where I live we are actually on a seperate aquaduct, we aren't tapped into Chilliwack's main supply, but we are quite close by so my numbers actually shocked me abit. That's partly why I wanted to get results from other people.

BC definitely has got some great water.

Lofus
03-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Calgary gets its water from the Elbow river.

There are a lot of factors that go into water flavour, TDS, mineral and ion content.

Low TDS does not really equate to better taste. Just try some RO or distilled water. Some of it can be pretty nasty.

Quinn
03-17-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm no hydrologist but I doubt taste has anything to do with purity. Isn't pure lab-grade H2O supposed to be bad for you? And everyone runs around paying money for water from glaciers, water that has been sitting for 10,000 years. Maybe it gets better with age.

chwkreefer
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm no hydrologist but I doubt taste has anything to do with purity. Isn't pure lab-grade H2O supposed to be bad for you? And everyone runs around paying money for water from glaciers, water that has been sitting for 10,000 years. Maybe it gets better with age.

Oh the taste thing was in reference to different conpetitions that Chilliwack has won. So you are correct that it has nothing to do with purity.

The aquafir that supplies the water out here has tested for low nitrate and low microbial contamination. So I guess that explains why TDS readings don't indicate everything about our water.

I know that Chilliwacks water boasts it has half the contaminats of bottled water. So other than paying for the fancy blue bottle, I'd be wasting money paying for the bottle water that isn't as good as the water coming out of our local taps.

Quinn
03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I've always considered bottled water a scam. In Europe, Dasani comes from London's public water supply, and Toronto is talking about bottling and selling their water as well.

Delphinus
03-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Calgary gets its water from the Elbow river.

FWIW, "south" Calgary gets its water from the Elbow. North gets it from the Bow. You'd think they'd be fairly similar but I seem to recall the last time I ever looked into this they were surprisingly distinct.

Not that it matters, it's more just something of an observation I find interesting.

dyereefer
03-18-2004, 12:33 AM
I live in surrey and the TDS=8

ruck'n'reefer
03-18-2004, 04:11 AM
110 pre RO, clearbrook waterworks, Abbotsford