PDA

View Full Version : Where do you hook up your inline TDS meter?

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 06:42 AM
I guess we have ours on the output of the RO. But it is always 0. Why am I suspicious?

monza
03-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Well I'll guess at why your suspicious; it should read zero after the DI? My inline which has two readings (which I guess yours is) is hooked up before it enters the RO/DI then after the last stage, the DI.

Dave

ruck'n'reefer
03-16-2004, 07:17 AM
I have mine: pre and post DI.

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 07:32 AM
I will move it, but since it is reading 0 off the RO....I should assume all is good with my DI then. :confused: :question:

monza
03-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Does it have two readings?

ruck'n'reefer
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
If you are getting a 0 reading post DI your DI unit is doing its job. Do you only have 1 probe? I have 2 with mine and there is a huge difference between pre and post Di readings. Pre may be 135 post is 0 ish.
Hope that helps some.

Rob

I don't have DI just RO Sorry for the confusion!! :redface: The probes are pre / post RO.

Sorry :rolleyes:

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 07:46 PM
I am thinking this is in the wrong place. :confused:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/Meter.JPG

Canadian Man
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
1ST PROBE IS TAP WATER AND 2ND IS AFTER DI UNIT.

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
I have mine: pre and post DI.

This makes sense to me. Then you can monitor the RO membrane and the DI cartridge. Who really cares what the tap water is anyway right ?

Thanks for your patience JON. :rolleyes: :razz:

mediaone
03-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Emily, seems like you got it sorted out but I will throw in my opinion just in case you find it helpful.

It doesn't matter if you install the unit (Tap Water - Post DI) or (Tap Water - Post RO) or (Post RO - Post DI). It simply allows you to see the difference between the two points. That being said, some people don't really care what their tap water is (especially locally) because our water is quite pure to begin with. Installing it (Tap Water - Post RO) will help you determine if you RO is pulling out a significant amount of TDS and may give you an indication over time of whether or not the membrane needs to be flushed or replaced. If all you care about is TDS at the end (usually our overall concern)... installing it (Post RO - Post DI) will allow you to keep an eye on the DI resin and overall quality at the end. Keep in mind that RO membranes are usually good for 3-5 years provided they are backflushed periodically.

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Thank you mediaone... :biggrin:

Now I will be able to explain it to someone else. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
03-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Emily, where do you find the dual TDS meter, I only have a hand held one I ocasionaly test my output water with.

Steve

EmilyB
03-17-2004, 03:39 AM
Steve it is the inline model sold by J&L.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ro-aftdsi