PDA

View Full Version : Holy Peppermint Shrimp !

janalta
04-19-2012, 04:37 PM
So....Aptasia was attacking my 55 gal - had to be at least 30-40 in there...some as big around as toonies.
Injecting them just ticked them off and caused them to reproduce so I finally found some peppermints at a local LFS yesterday and threw two of them in my tank.
I was sceptical since I've heard so many mixed reviews about them.

Well.....seems that they were busy all night....because so far I've not been able to spot one single aptasia in my tank !:surprise:

reefgirl189
04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
They really are very efficient, aren't they? That's crazy though, I wonder how bloated they look now :biggrin:

janalta
04-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I sure wasn't expecting them to clean them up that fast ! Thought maybe one or two a day...not everything in one night !
Guess I only needed one of them.
They're both just hanging under a rock in the corner this morning....not looking like they're going to do much else all day

Starry
04-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Digesting thier huge meal.

janalta
04-19-2012, 05:36 PM
No doubt...gluttons !

BlueWorldAquatic
04-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I hate to burst you bubble, I doubt 2 could have cleaned out the tank overnight. Aiptasia is probably retracted and hiding. Over time if they are the right species, the should rid your tank of aiptasia.

janalta
04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
No bubble bursting at all....had little in the way of expectations to start with.
And...yep....a few are starting to crawl out from under the rocks now that they think the coast is clear....I knew there would be more to come...but am still impressed that they made such a dent in the population so quickly. Like I said...I was sceptical that they would make any difference at all, but thought I'd give it a shot.

04V10
04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
I had a peppermint. He was awesome until there was no aptaisia. I would feed him fairly regularly however the little bastard went rogue and started tearing aussie acans apart! So someone else has him now. Lol

janalta
04-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe I can teach them to aquire a taste for my rogue Millipora-eating damsel !!