PDA

View Full Version : Ferric Oxide vs. Aluminum Oxide

HL649
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
As the title says, are there any disadvantages or advantages of using either of these? I have read this article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php) by Randy Holmes-Farley which is quite an excellent article about phosphate but I am looking for some hands on experience of some of the reefers on the board.

I presently use PhosGuard which is an aluminum based product. It works well for me but I am going to be setting up a Bio-Pellet reactor and will probably be running a little phosphate removal also when everything is balanced out.

fishytime
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I always steer people that wanna do a reef away from Phosguard and other similar products....aluminum can be an irritant to some of the more sensitive corals.....GFO IMHO.....

msjboy
04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
also check out these devices/methods to control phosphates/nitrates :

www.aquaripure.com ( a cannister based vodka dosing system for those with underpowered skimmers or don't want the hassle of vodka dosing)
Algae scrubber
ttp://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/35294-mega-powerful-nitrate-phosphate-remover-replaces-skimmer-refugium-everything.html

If you want fastest cure, probably GFO I think.

msjboy

fishytime
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I should have added in my above post that perhaps the most cost efficient thing would be to address whats causing the elevated nitrate and phosphate levels instead of spending cash on a "band aid" solution

toytech
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM
I used the phos guard for years and ever since i stoped my zoas have been growing very fast . It could be that it strips the phosphate out of the water too quickly or the aluminum , because whenever i added fresh phosguard my corals would close for a day or two ,and yes i did rinse it.